GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, I put together a chip FAQ

aliti19

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI w/ PP
Yea, we're lucky with some nice mod-friendly VW dealers over here in the Chicago area. I had Autobarn VW of Mt. Prospect do my GIAC. Great guys!

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yea, we're lucky with some nice mod-friendly VW dealers over here in the Chicago area. I had Autobarn VW of Mt. Prospect do my GIAC. Great guys!

That's for sure! I'm pretty sure most VW dealerships aren't GIAC, Revo, or APR certified.

jimmycoop2005

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Nissan 350z
Pretty reliable so far. The only things you really have to worry about are the DV's and PCV's failing.

Lazy S, Conrad at City VW did mine. I trust him since he has APR Stg 2 on his own MkV GTI. He's a cool guy too, races and tracks his GTI, is a member of the Chicago VW Organization.

Problem is I live in Va haha. I will probably go to Charlotte NC. I will just go ahead and get after market DVs and PCVs, so I can hopefully bypass problems.

Hiya I thought I'd add to this list although I' not listed in the group of tuners, maybe I can be added?

I'm the administrator also on the mentioned checksumm.com forum also

So onto remapping of the 2.0T FSI this is indeed done by OBD mainly on this, it can be done internally on the ECU via the BDM port which is basically a jtag.
The data on previous 1.8T ECU's (Bosch ME7) was stored wholly on a single EPROM which checksummed entirely within itself. When we come to 2.0T FSI (Bosch MED9) data is stored in three areas in the ECU and this effects how the checksum can be calculated.

FIREBLADE

Ready to race!
really sucks that there is not a tuner anywhere near my home. I live in New Orleans seems the nearest chipper is in Houston or Destin Fl. I was thinking about the BSR unit because it does not require a DEALER install. I have no clue y every chip maker is going through a " dealer network " to have the units installed. Every other brand of vehicle has customer intallable units from many chip companys. It is not like this is a difficult thing to do.

initialGTI

Ready to race!
FYI O.CT is sold by Stratmosphere in the US. Cost is $595...

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
great write up. You answered all my questions right here!!

Thanks

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
This might be a stupid question but...

On the GIAC dyno why do they list gains of 18-50HP while the others list ONE number for the power gain.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
This might be a stupid question but...

On the GIAC dyno why do they list gains of 18-50HP while the others list ONE number for the power gain.

Well, realistically, every engine is going to see different numbers, not one specific number. There are a ton of variables affecting Stg 1 hp numbers: octane rating, climate, whether it's dry or humid out, altitude, etc etc.

Hell, even stock 2.0T's dyno at different numbers, which means they could be more or less than 200 crank hp. And for what it's worth, 200hp crank is pretty underrated. Some stock 2.0T's are dynoing 190whp, which equates to around 215-225 crank hp.

Hope that helps.

ssabripo

a/v guru
Car(s)
08 GTI
anyone know if i can "move" the flash i did from one car to another if i sold it?

yes...most allow you to do that at a "transfer" cost. For example, APR allows you to transfer your flash to another car for $150.

hypnotica003

Ready to race!
yes...most allow you to do that at a "transfer" cost. For example, APR allows you to transfer your flash to another car for $150.

any idea about REVO? cause im sure APR slaughters you with the cost for that too.. hopefully REVO doesnt disappoint me in this area :thumbup: