GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snowboarders....Need Boot and Binding Recommendations

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Long story short......brother-in-law works for Burton...took demo boards out to Loveland this winter and fell in love with their new Step In technology boots/bindings, but $$$$$$, sooooooo even with his discount can't afford.

I'll be buying the demo boards at the end of the season, but have no clue about what type of standard bindings to consider or boots even (loved Burton boots, but realize there are cheaper comparable boots).

Recommendations for both please!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Burton fit ridiculously good, but I want to try DC and some other brands try too

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Long story short......brother-in-law works for Burton...took demo boards out to Loveland this winter and fell in love with their new Step In technology boots/bindings, but $$$$$$, sooooooo even with his discount can't afford.

I'll be buying the demo boards at the end of the season, but have no clue about what type of standard bindings to consider or boots even (loved Burton boots, but realize there are cheaper comparable boots).

Recommendations for both please!

For bindings, I’d get some cartels if I ever remember to try to buy at the end of the season. I haven’t looked in a few years and have been rocking some burton freestyles for so long. I usually only ride big pow days at the resorts (sidecountry or hikable terrain when possible) and haven’t cared enough to spend money on nice resort bindings since I usually just tour on the split. I wouldn’t cheap out on boots though, and you may want to get specific on that as different boots seem to fit different style of riding. Lace configuration seems kind of silly but I found that I dislike traditional laces as they can be time consuming and don’t get a tight as I prefer. Boa can be good but with the adjuster up above the bottom of the pant, it’s kind of a hassle. I find boots to be pretty subjective and dependent on what terrain you ride. I’ve had good boots from Northwave, Thirty-two, and dislike my current touring boot by k2.

All in all, for me, it’s the board that counts the most. You may have to talk to some sales people at a store. REI is awesome for buying and returning if something doesn’t suit your needs.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I'd just go with the traditional strap bindings and get the best boots you can afford. I have zero experience with the step in bindings...but I've never had any issues with the strap ones. I've run the Burton Freestyle boots and bindings for years.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
For bindings, I’d get some cartels if I ever remember to try to buy at the end of the season. I haven’t looked in a few years and have been rocking some burton freestyles for so long. I usually only ride big pow days at the resorts (sidecountry or hikable terrain when possible) and haven’t cared enough to spend money on nice resort bindings since I usually just tour on the split. I wouldn’t cheap out on boots though, and you may want to get specific on that as different boots seem to fit different style of riding. Lace configuration seems kind of silly but I found that I dislike traditional laces as they can be time consuming and don’t get a tight as I prefer. Boa can be good but with the adjuster up above the bottom of the pant, it’s kind of a hassle. I find boots to be pretty subjective and dependent on what terrain you ride. I’ve had good boots from Northwave, Thirty-two, and dislike my current touring boot by k2.

All in all, for me, it’s the board that counts the most. You may have to talk to some sales people at a store. REI is awesome for buying and returning if something doesn’t suit your needs.
I was testing out a Burton Custom board, which I'll end up picking up, but not for off trail powder or tricks, so I don't need specific bindings for either of those extremes. I'll look up Burton cartel bindings.

Regarding boots, I'm of the same mind.....boots need to be where most of the money is spent due to that's where your daily comfort will come from. I only want to get a BOA system boot for sure.....I'll check out northwave and 32 and compare prices to burton (I get mad discount with my brother in law.....for instance.....have a Burton AK jacket.....only cost me 175).

I'd just go with the traditional strap bindings and get the best boots you can afford. I have zero experience with the step in bindings...but I've never had any issues with the strap ones. I've run the Burton Freestyle boots and bindings for years.
Burton Freestyle binding....got it.....was watching a YT video reviewing some companies I've never heard before so thought I'd post up to get some input....appreciate it!