GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Six Stacker....How '90's

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
I've had my car for over a week now and I'm very impressed. It's really well made, fantastic dynamics and there are so many cool accessories like auto dimming mirror, self lighting vanity mirror, Recaro seats etc.

But then there's the stereo...I'm not super fussy about what sound system I have in my cars, but this one seems completely out of context with the rest of the vehicle. No MP3 capability, no iPod support, no USB or stereo plug, a six stacker CD player (in the console for gods sake!) and could they have made the whole thing any bigger?? It feels very mid 90's.

I hear rumours of an iPod adapter.....so, how much and where can I get one:smile:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Yeah the stereo functionality is a bit lacking, as is its interaction with the steering wheel buttons. :iono:

mr gti 2007

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf GTI
I've had my car for over a week now and I'm very impressed. It's really well made, fantastic dynamics and there are so many cool accessories like auto dimming mirror, self lighting vanity mirror, Recaro seats etc.

But then there's the stereo...I'm not super fussy about what sound system I have in my cars, but this one seems completely out of context with the rest of the vehicle. No MP3 capability, no iPod support, no USB or stereo plug, a six stacker CD player (in the console for gods sake!) and could they have made the whole thing any bigger?? It feels very mid 90's.

I hear rumours of an iPod adapter.....so, how much and where can I get one:smile:

i have mp3 capability hehehe :D

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car

What's wrong with a 6-stacker? What is the alternative? I'm no audiophile, but I find the stereo performs to a level that I am happy with. The only 2 issues I have is the mp3/ipod compatibility and the steering wheel buttons. But I have to say, I do find it odd that it doesn't have a pause button.

Cheers

moguzhan

Drag Racer
Car(s)
Jetta 07
i bought a fm transmitter for my mp3 player.

40 gig of songs!!! :biggrin:

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
I think that is what I am going to go for.

from my experiences with those FM transmitters having a direct connection in the from of a 3.5mm audio cable (same as head phones) or the OEM ipod cable is miles ahead. the FM transmitters suffer from interference, the quality is crap and alot of the time they require alot of stuffing around with trial and error to find the freq that works best for you. also for some reason after a while their power drops and the quality gets worse.
i had an itrip and it was SHIT... my friend has one of those Monster ipod transmitters and thats better but its still not great.
my OEM ipod connection may have a couple of flaws but its no where close to being as crap as those FM transmitters.
dont bother wasting your time and money on one.. my ipod connector is one of best options i ticked
thats my 2c... sorry for the rant

Bunty

No longer waiting
Car(s)
MkV Golf GTI DSG
from my experiences with those FM transmitters having a direct connection in the from of a 3.5mm audio cable (same as head phones) or the OEM ipod cable is miles ahead. the FM transmitters suffer from interference, the quality is crap and alot of the time they require alot of stuffing around with trial and error to find the freq that works best for you.

I agree that a direct connection is best, but I was told that I could only connect one device to the stereo as there was only one aux port and I had opted for the buetooth kit.
I picked up an FM transmitter from the computer markets for $25 and it works great. Still don't know where to put my iPod and changing songs can be a hassle as I grope for it, but it also didn't cost me the $380 they quoted for the iPod Kit either. The other cincher was that the MY08 GTI's have MP3 CD players.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
I agree that a direct connection is best, but I was told that I could only connect one device to the stereo as there was only one aux port and I had opted for the buetooth kit.
I picked up an FM transmitter from the computer markets for $25 and it works great. Still don't know where to put my iPod and changing songs can be a hassle as I grope for it, but it also didn't cost me the $380 they quoted for the iPod Kit either. The other cincher was that the MY08 GTI's have MP3 CD players.

thats not true. i have a parrot bluetooth and ipod connector installed on my car with no problems!

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
from my experiences with those FM transmitters having a direct connection in the from of a 3.5mm audio cable (same as head phones) or the OEM ipod cable is miles ahead. the FM transmitters suffer from interference, the quality is crap and alot of the time they require alot of stuffing around with trial and error to find the freq that works best for you. also for some reason after a while their power drops and the quality gets worse.
i had an itrip and it was SHIT... my friend has one of those Monster ipod transmitters and thats better but its still not great.
my OEM ipod connection may have a couple of flaws but its no where close to being as crap as those FM transmitters.
dont bother wasting your time and money on one.. my ipod connector is one of best options i ticked
thats my 2c... sorry for the rant

I used to have to hold my iPod up in the air when driving to get decent signal quality with the iTrip. They are crapola.

Cheers

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
I used to have to hold my iPod up in the air when driving to get decent signal quality with the iTrip. They are crapola.

Cheers

i threw my itrip out the window on the frwy... i was that pissed off... maybe i should also mention that i had the shittest day and this was the thing that made me snap!

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion

I actually love my 6 disk cd changer...hows is it so 90's?

moguzhan

Drag Racer
Car(s)
Jetta 07
its all a matter of cost.

buy a new deck worth while - 1100 double din

convert the mp3s into wav and then on to cds - massive time waste as you struggle to fit 17 songs on 1 cd.

or

get an fm transmitter. i bought a monster play for 60 bux. it has a doggle to stick on the dash. i was going to go even cheaper and get one off ebay but i just didnt trust the cheap imitations.

it seems to work well once you adjust the settings on your mp3 player such as bass levels, equaliser etc. it sounds exactly the same as a cd once you can find a station.

the stereo is pretty shit though. it wont show the time when you switch it off, theres a setting that lets you increase the volume but when you exit that setting the volume is decreased again. :wub:

mikep

Ready to race!
Schnitz

I have installed the OEM iPod adaptor as have others on this forum.

It works fine.

It you have the time and patience, scroll through previous posts on this forum and you will find a lot of good information re iPods.

I am pleased with mine (despite the operating deficiencies of the OEM system, refer the posts).

Re. the CD player, I definiteley find the sound quality better when I am running a disc as compared to the IPod. The CD sounds "brighter".

So I put all the "old" stuff on the IPod and the newest stuff I like stays on disc until I'm tired of it, then it goes to IPod.

BTW. If you have a hearing deficiency through years of listening to stuff at 95 dB with the base turned to max all the time (eg the dorf dorf boys) then you won't notice any difference.

I