GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Simple solution: P2401 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit

Weixb

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hi all- I've been chasing down electrical gremlins in my new-to-me 2006 GTI and thought I would share the simple solution to my P2401 code:

Check that there is a 10A fuse in the SB10 fuse location in the engine bay.

Since I don't have the original manual for the car, I have been using the attached fuse diagram to troubleshoot. It lists SB10 as "not used," however, digging through other forum posts, I found this thread on Vortex where they mention that SB10 requires a 10A fuse. I popped one in, and voila, no more P2401 code!

I don't know how widespread this diagram issue is- my local shop also didn't know that SB10 required a fuse, and quoted me hundreds just to track down the issue.

If this doesn't fix your problem, you might be stuck having to check the other common culprits (gas cap, N80 valve, etc), but if you're like me and you're using a bad fuse diagram, you're in for a rough time troubleshooting! So far, I've been incredibly lucky and have resolved three evap codes by just by checking and replacing fuses (both O2 sensors and the evap pump).

Hopefully this helps someone out there with similar problems to me!

-Thomas

Attachments

• VWGolfVFuseRelays.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 469

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Fuse panel layout varies. For the MK5 GTI, there are eight different build periods and there's a different layout for each period and for other reasons which I cannot recall right now. Build location as well as region of sale perhaps. Yes, the general layout shows SB10 not used and it doesn't show a fuse which is used for the Leak Detection pump.

So anyhow, I had all eight printed out for me...and none of them matched the layout in my 2007. The build period for mine for June 2006 didn't match, nor did the other seven periods. There were always a few, from three to eight, fuses who's amps didn't match what was supposed to be in the spot where the diagram had them listed.

It is likely someone prior to your ownership had removed the fuse for the code....rather than fixing it.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
...Since I don't have the original manual for the car, I have been using the attached fuse diagram to troubleshoot.

-Thomas

I have the original car owner's manual for the 2006. The fuse ID & fuse layout info in this manual is very poor & very limited. This info is very close to worthless. I have been disappointed with the owners manual; too many sub-booklets within the binder & overall not easy to navigate.

The fuse diagram that you were using is likely incorrect for your 2006 (that diagram is edition 11/2005). Guessing that diagram is for the 2004 or 2005...? Side note: my 2006 diagram has fuse SB10 shown as a 10A fuse (V144 - Leak Detection Pump (USA/Canada); but I have not looked at this fuse on our 2006 yet. So, I agree, that fuse must be installed. Why that fuse was missing in your car is odd or funny?

Fuse panel layout varies. For the MK5 GTI, there are eight different build periods and there's a different layout for each period and for other reasons which I cannot recall right now....

Yes. Finding the correct fuse ID and the correct fuse (position) panel layout (in my case the 2006) was challenging even after I got the official wire diagrams via erWin about 2 weeks ago; I paid $35 for a 24 hour subscription. Without this info, most people should become lost quickly... and/or find themselves using (best guesses) fuse charts, -that are found at random places online.

Here are the options (table of contents?) for the 2006 Rabbit/GTI as shown on page 802/1 of K0058990621 Wiring_Diagrams_and_Component_Locations.PDF (Edition 09.2007).

1 - Fuses (SA) on fuse panel A
❑ ⇒ “1.2 Fuses (SA), E-Box Low, from May 2005”, page 2
❑ ⇒ “1.3 Fuses (SA), E-Box Low, from May 2006”, page 3
❑ ⇒ “1.4 Fuses (SA), E-Box Low, from May 2007”, page 5
❑ ⇒ “1.5 Fuses (SA), E-Box High, through May 2005”, page 7
❑ ⇒ “1.6 Fuses (SA), E-Box High, from May 2005”, page 9
❑ ⇒ “1.7 Fuses (SA), E-Box High, from November 2005”, page 11
❑ ⇒ “1.8 Fuses (SA), E-Box High, from May 2007”, page 13
2 - Fuses (SB) on fuse panel B
❑ ⇒ “1.9 Fuses (SB), E-Box Low, from May 2005”, page 15
❑ ⇒ “1.10 Fuses (SB), E-Box Low, from May 2006”, page 18
❑ ⇒ “1.11 Fuses (SB), E-Box Low, from May 2007”, page 21
❑ ⇒ “1.12 Fuses (SB), E-Box High, through May 2005”, page 24
❑ ⇒ “1.13 Fuses (SB), E-Box High, from May 2005”, page 28
❑ ⇒ “1.14 Fuses (SB), E-Box High, from November 2005”, page 31
❑ ⇒ “1.15 Fuses (SB), E-Box High, from May 2007”, page 34

The first challenge was to figure out what E-Box High verses E-Box Low meant, or what's the difference? Side note: our 2006 has the E-Box High type of fuse box, and our 2006 build date is 12/2005.

I decided to burn an hour tonight and create this picture that compares two fuse panel types that could be in a 2006. Sadly, there is no clean cutoff date of E-Box Low verses E-Box High based on the car build date info. You must figure out which fuse panel type you have first AND THEN look at the build date of the car. I hope this picture will find its' way, and help someone else in the future.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yep, that was what I too had to figure out...and its E-Box high on mine.
Mine was built 6-06 and there are both E-Box; Low and High for that date. And still my fuses didn't 100% match the E-Box High layout diagram it showed would be in the side dash panel.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, that was what I too had to figure out...and its E-Box high on mine.
Mine was built 6-06 and there are both E-Box; Low and High for that date. And still my fuses didn't 100% match the E-Box High layout diagram it showed would be in the side dash panel.

Hello again. I do not expect you to reply, but I wanted to let you know that I did not understand what you meant in your last sentence.

"...And still my fuses didn't 100% match the E-Box High layout diagram it showed would be in the side dash panel." -what?

The fuse panel located inside the car cabin is known as Fuse Panel C. Fuses in that box are ID'ed with SCxx.

If I understand your words correctly, it seems like whatever documents you were using, allowed fuse panel SB & SC "views" or "Legends" to be mashed-up or mixed-up and this caused you confusion and/or you thought the fuse panel views (that you were using) were screwed up...?

Earlier tonight, I decided to create another picture, this new picture is for Fuse Panel SB views. I will post that one in a couple minutes.
Neither of these created pictures shows the fuses that are actually installed in your, mine, or the OP's car... each picture shows ALL fuse positions only. Exactly which fuse positions are populated with a fuse is another story, based on car build date and the car options that are installed.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
For no good reason, I decided to create a companion picture for the first picture at Post#3. The first picture was for fuse panel SA, and this new picture is for panel SB. Reminder: SA and SB are one fuse box; located inside the engine bay.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Hi all- I've been chasing down electrical gremlins in my new-to-me 2006 GTI and thought I would share the simple solution to my P2401 code:

Check that there is a 10A fuse in the SB10 fuse location in the engine bay.

Since I don't have the original manual for the car, I have been using the attached fuse diagram to troubleshoot. It lists SB10 as "not used," however, digging through other forum posts, I found this thread on Vortex where they mention that SB10 requires a 10A fuse. I popped one in, and voila, no more P2401 code!

I don't know how widespread this diagram issue is- my local shop also didn't know that SB10 required a fuse, and quoted me hundreds just to track down the issue.

If this doesn't fix your problem, you might be stuck having to check the other common culprits (gas cap, N80 valve, etc), but if you're like me and you're using a bad fuse diagram, you're in for a rough time troubleshooting! So far, I've been incredibly lucky and have resolved three evap codes by just by checking and replacing fuses (both O2 sensors and the evap pump).

Hopefully this helps someone out there with similar problems to me!

-Thomas

What strange about this is that I have seen this happen in a few original owner cars that get a dtc 10+ years out or +100k miles on the car and then it resolved with placing a fuse it never had in that location. Weird

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Hello again. I do not expect you to reply, but I wanted to let you know that I did not understand what you meant in your last sentence.

"...And still my fuses didn't 100% match the E-Box High layout diagram it showed would be in the side dash panel." -what?
No, I wasn't confused. I had the printed layout for the correct period and for E-Box High.
What I mean is that when I was going through and checking each fuse in the side dash or C-panel, I was looking at each fuse through #49. I was comparing the Amp of each fuse from what the ledger stated should be in each spot to what was actually in the panel. There were a number of fuses the ledger said should be a certain Amp but mine would have a different Amp fuse. Whatever item it listed to be connected to the panel may have been correct but the ledger would also say it should be for example; a 10A fuse and mine would actually have a 5A, 15A, or 20A in the location.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
@ ROH ECHT - Ah! Ok. Got it.

Side Note: I was married to a German speaking woman for 15 years; some of those years in Germany. So I quickly noticed your handle name; a good handle name. Our two kids are also lightly inflicted.

I will follow-up your fuse inventory, and do an inventory on our 2006 in the next week or two. Once completed, I will stick the results into the Owners Manual for future references. I will also try to remember to get back here and share any (SB and SC panels) fuse mis-matches that I find.
-Bis spater dann

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I married a Woman who was born in Germany..her mother is German.
I thought I was being clever when I put in my name, thinking as Roh Echt, I was "somewhat sharp". She said later it meant I was Dull :( Oh well. OK, Later