GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side to side motion in new GTI

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
So my old 2015 se with pp, dsg, and dcc was wrecked by a deer. Just picked up a "new" ride, a 17 se dsg cpo with only 11 K miles. It does not have the dcc option. I always kept my old car in sport suspension mode, couldn't stand the normal or comfort mode. The new car rides kind of in between sport and normal...fairly firm, but more comfortable over bumps. Riding on the interstate today at about 75, I felt the car seemed a little loose with kind of a side to side swaying over irregularites. Would a thicker rear sway bar help with this? I am not considering racing the car, but want a firm , but not harsh feeling of control. Would even consider springs if they can tolerate the questionable roads here.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
You mean it felt like it was rocking back and forth? Haven't noticed that in my '17 SE except for maybe when it's really windy and it blows the car around a little

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Tramlining?

Did it feel like you were on a slow version of Mr Toads wild ride?

If so, get an alignment check.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I noticed the same with standard suspension when I test drove a few configurations of GTI.

Kinda felt like a Pogo Stick.

Thats one reason I picked DCC.

You might want to also check for shipping pucks.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I think Rear Swaybar helped my MK6 with a simlilar issue - kind of felt like it was shimmying side to side over alot of bumps. Feels much more planted as of late but also worth considering i replaced like every bushing and suspension component (all stock).

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I seem to remember a similar issue on the mk6 that was in the end attributed to one axle having vastly different tyre tread depth than the other, this appeared to somehow cause the XDS to function when it usually would not, would happen on straight roads and on higher speed sweeping bends if I recall! I believe new tyres on that worn axle stopped it, car must have interpreted the wheels as having different speeds due to the tread difference therefore activating either side brake randomly causing a weird faint pulling feeling.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not all the time, but when there is an undulating surface. My cheap nissan sentra rental car felt better on this same road, more solid.

Then I agree with Corprin who said that it's probably tramlining. It happens with different brands of tires.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
If on grooved surface and alignment does not help, then look at tires. Certain tire designs can follow grooving. Most tire manufacturers design to prevent but might still be an impact.

Shipping pucks.
We had a report on the forum that one vehicle, even after three owners, the GTI still had them in.