GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Me Your Car Smartphone Holders

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’ve started a new commute that has some gnarly traffic so Im heavily reliant on google maps now to avoid traffic. What smartphone holders are you using and why do you like it? Btw I have an iPhone if it matters. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve started a new commute that has some gnarly traffic so Im heavily reliant on google maps now to avoid traffic. What smartphone holders are you using and why do you like it? Btw I have an iPhone if it matters. Thanks.

I've you got an iPhone and CarPlay, why not just use that and keep the phone in the cubby?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
This^

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Ha! Thanks for the reminder. Its been over two years and I never got around to playing with carplay.

Wow. If you use your smart phone for navigation regularly, you'll love it. If I drive anywhere more than a few miles away I plug my phone in and keep carplay on.

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed
I have apple car play and while it works really well i find myself using my phone to make things quicker like picking songs, changing an address in waze, even calling people. So i picked up a mount (linked below) that only uses 3M tape. I stuck mine right below the tuning knob since i rarely use it and it comes with a couple magnetic stickers for the back of your phone. Some review claim their phones fell off but ive have mine on for a year and thats never happened. This is what i would recommend

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R1DQBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I got the shortest iphone cable I could find on Amazon and just put the phone in the cubby.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I got the shortest iphone cable I could find on Amazon and just put the phone in the cubby.

Thats what Ive been doing. But the traffic on my commute can be pretty unpredictable so Im constantly checking my phone as it wants to change the route. I need the phone to be up higher so I can keep my eyes up while driving.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
CarPlay should be giving you the same data that your phone does. I use Maps no matter where I’m going.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
CarPlay should be giving you the same data that your phone does. I use Maps no matter where I’m going.

Oh gotcha. I thought you meant you werent using carplay.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
This is a side note, but one of the things I love about the Carplay screen format while in Maps is that you can tap the little guidance box twice in the upper left corner of the screen and it makes Siri repeat the next turn instruction. Sometimes I miss what she says the first time, or I forget, or the music was too loud.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have the scoshe magnetic vent mount and it’s fantastic. I ran a lightning cable thru the vent down to the 12v port in the center console so i can charge it while it’s mounted as well. I just leave that vent (left one in the center cluster) off and I’m good to go.

That said, if you’re using CarPlay, the screen will not display information. It goes into “CarPlay mode” and everything shifts to the car’s screen.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I mainly use Waze through CarPlay but find myself using the built in Nav mainly!
I use this cable for CarPlay,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Original-Connection-Adapter-000051446R/dp/B01N6GUB4A
Works great and fits perfectly in the cubby thanks to the right angle plug, (which I guess was VWs intention),

I use a 10cm Amazon Basics cable that I paid $6 for. I've been using it for the past 7 months. It's been good so far. A 90 degree bend at the charge port would be nice...but then again...it was $6.[emoji16]

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I use this iOttie mount and I love it. I used to run magnetic mounts but didn't like having the metal plate behind my phone in the case because I use wireless charging. It's easy to use, just press the phone into the mount on the "button" on the back and the arms clamp together.