GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I Trade?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The AP2 isn't as fun as the AP1, nor does it sound as good. But it's also more tractable and they do tend to put up better track times. They're surprisingly quick if driven well and amusingly slow if not. It's the best gear shift of anything non gated. You're probably on the upper end of "low miles" for keeping it and seeing it appreciate greatly, but if you kept the miles down, you'd always get your money out of it. I'd probably just get an ND over one to not have give up modern amenities and safety bits, plus the passenger side of the S2k is more cramped, and even though my wife is short and doesn't drive a manual, I don't want to find a reason to have to sit in that little hell hole.

I have many stories of making a Miata work as a daily for a few years. Includes holding onto framed art over my head while driving a few miles from the framing shop. Loading groceries into the trunk, around the parcel shelf and over my seated ex. Driving to the inaugural Indy F1 race with a large friend with all of our camping gear too. Learning that the vMax of the roof cover was about 118mph and just how far you have to circle back to find it once it departs. I miss that dumb car more than most, and I'd certainly miss it more if it had been an S2k.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
The AP2 isn't as fun as the AP1, nor does it sound as good. But it's also more tractable and they do tend to put up better track times. They're surprisingly quick if driven well and amusingly slow if not. It's the best gear shift of anything non gated. You're probably on the upper end of "low miles" for keeping it and seeing it appreciate greatly, but if you kept the miles down, you'd always get your money out of it. I'd probably just get an ND over one to not have give up modern amenities and safety bits, plus the passenger side of the S2k is more cramped, and even though my wife is short and doesn't drive a manual, I don't want to find a reason to have to sit in that little hell hole.

I have many stories of making a Miata work as a daily for a few years. Includes holding onto framed art over my head while driving a few miles from the framing shop. Loading groceries into the trunk, around the parcel shelf and over my seated ex. Driving to the inaugural Indy F1 race with a large friend with all of our camping gear too. Learning that the vMax of the roof cover was about 118mph and just how far you have to circle back to find it once it departs. I miss that dumb car more than most, and I'd certainly miss it more if it had been an S2k.
I won't have to worry about giving up modern amenities if I don't sell the GTI and the ND miata just doesn't do anything for me.

I think I may be wrong about it being an AP2 because my wife said she remembers seeing her cousin with it back in 2003 so it could be the last MY of the AP1 but she's confident it's silver w/ black interior. I'll find out more today once I get the VIN and other details.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nice. 2002 and 2003 AP1's had the glass rear window which is much nicer. They may have less torque, but the 2.0L in the AP1 revs an extra 800 rpm, the car was about 100 pounds lighter and they came setup so neutral that it was very easy to induce oversteer. The AP2 stock bars were much milder and it understeered in stock form. That's easy to fix, of course.

cb1111

Maybe he doesn't want to pursue a career in hair styling?
No, that was the Opel Manta - the German hair stylist's car.....

Was bleibt übrig, wenn ein Manta ausbrennt? Goldkettchen und eine heulende Friseuse.
What is left when a Manta burns to the ground? A gold chain and a crying hair stylist

Was steht vor McDonald’s und hat einen IQ von 120? Sechs Manta-Fahrer.
What is in front of McDonald's and has an IQ if 120? Six Manta drivers

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My vote is for keeping the GTI and springing for the S2K. Really cool garage for the money, lots of fun and still practical. (My bias, I plan to keep my MK7 and get a convertible ('18 or newer Mustang GT or an older Boxster S) in the next few years.)

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I was very misinformed. It's an 05 with 160k miles on the clock. Not as excited about it anymore...
Oh yeah, nothing to see there.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I was very misinformed. It's an 05 with 160k miles on the clock. Not as excited about it anymore...
I was really pumped for you for this entire thread until right here. My entire thought process was a clean untainted s2k with low miles is going to fetch a pretty penny (relatively speaking) in 10 years.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I was really pumped for you for this entire thread until right here. My entire thought process was a clean untainted s2k with low miles is going to fetch a pretty penny (relatively speaking) in 10 years.
my thoughts exactly. i was super stoked about it until a few hours ago :( i was going to keep it bone stock too

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My cousin had an S2K. J's supercharger, Tein coilovers, Mugen exhaust, Volk wheels. I would not trade it for my GTI. His S2K was a blast to drive...but its just too darn small. The interior is tiny. You really can't put anything in the car. I would not want to take it on a long drive either.

For sure you would need a second vehicle.