GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I keep used coil packs?

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Did coil packs and spark plugs today after getting some cylinder 3 misfires last week. Pretty fun little job. Any reason I should keep the old coil packs around? Anyone want them?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
Did you mark cyl three coilpack? I would absolutely keep them, stash them in the trunk for when one inevitably goes. I had an almost new coil go out on a road trip a few years back in my 8p Audi A3. I was very happy I kept the old ones in the trunk, as it saved my ass at the time.

Any seasoned VAG owner has a few coil packs in the trunk. lol

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Did you mark cyl three coilpack? I would absolutely keep them, stash them in the trunk for when one inevitably goes. I had an almost new coil go out on a road trip a few years back in my 8p Audi A3. I was very happy I kept the old ones in the trunk, as it saved my ass at the time.

Any seasoned VAG owner has a few coil packs in the trunk. lol
Well, I had the box i marked that i was going to put that in until...well i put an unknown one in there. But hey, if i ever need to replace one i have a 25% chance of getting one that works!

I kinda figured keeping them would be helpful but I'm not good at hanging on to things. They're not cheap, but I would almost rather toss them and pay for one when needed than keep them. These were at 71K FYI.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
trust me... if they work they work... either keep a couple, or buy a new one. No sense in having to hard park the car or gosh forbid running on 3cyl to get home and waiting on a new one. *2cents*

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Keep them. Actually if they were okay I don't know why you replaced them. They don't wear out like spark plugs. Any cylinder 3 misfires now?

spankye

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Keep them. Actually if they were okay I don't know why you replaced them. They don't wear out like spark plugs. Any cylinder 3 misfires now?
Nope, misfire free since I replaced them. I agree, I probably didnt need to replace all 4 coil packs, but I bought the car used and was doing all 4 spark plugs as well. For me It was peace of mind and a hard reset on maintenance that I know took place. Kinda like changing all fluids, etc when you buy used so you know it was done.