GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shit grout?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Holy crap you couldn’t be more right. With a house you need to realize nothing is square, nothing is plumb, and you can only do your best to camouflage the flaws. There have been countless times I’ve screamed “WHO THE FUCK BUILDS LIKE THIS?!?!?”

Take my staircase, striped to the stringers and rebuilt. There are 4 flaws I focus on that nobody ever notices.

View attachment 235121

This is my first tile job, I had to work with a wonky 50s house.

View attachment 235122

OP - take a chunk of your grout to the local tile store. Not a big box, a legit tile shop. They will have a little grout color sample set, kinda like paint chip samples. Find the one that most closely matches what you have in indoor and outdoor light. Then grab a tube of the matched silicon/urathane sealant, grout removal tool, latex/nitrile exam gloves, and a roll of blue painters tape.

1. Remove remaining grout from the joint along that vertical to horizontal change.
2. run a bead of tape on the horizontal and vertical surfaces as close to 1/8” from the joint as you can be.
3. Run a bead down the joint
4. Using your finger smooth out the joint as you push the calk into the gap leaving a convex transition.
5. Carefully peel up tape as you pull away from the joint.
6. drink beer.
I can't even remember how many fucking times I've said who tf built this shit after moving in. Miles better than the cookie cutter homes that are built nowadays but holy shit my house must've been built ok Friday evenings after a round of drinks and a pound of weed.

I have all the necessary tools so I'll just go peep tile store and get some matching caulk.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Yup. Don't need to get every single piece and risk damaging tile. Chisel out as much as you can, vacuum it, tape it with painters tape, run a caulk bead. MOISTEN FINGER. Swipe it smooth. Immediately remove tape. Done.

Yes, anything that isn't on the same plane gets caulk. Color match if one of the surfaces isn't white. Or if they are close enough together use clear.
Good shit

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Holy crap you couldn’t be more right. With a house you need to realize nothing is square, nothing is plumb, and you can only do your best to camouflage the flaws. There have been countless times I’ve screamed “WHO THE FUCK BUILDS LIKE THIS?!?!?”

Take my staircase, striped to the stringers and rebuilt. There are 4 flaws I focus on that nobody ever notices.

View attachment 235121

This is my first tile job, I had to work with a wonky 50s house.

View attachment 235122

OP - take a chunk of your grout to the local tile store. Not a big box, a legit tile shop. They will have a little grout color sample set, kinda like paint chip samples. Find the one that most closely matches what you have in indoor and outdoor light. Then grab a tube of the matched silicon/urathane sealant, grout removal tool, latex/nitrile exam gloves, and a roll of blue painters tape.

1. Remove remaining grout from the joint along that vertical to horizontal change.
2. run a bead of tape on the horizontal and vertical surfaces as close to 1/8” from the joint as you can be.
3. Run a bead down the joint
4. Using your finger smooth out the joint as you push the calk into the gap leaving a convex transition.
5. Carefully peel up tape as you pull away from the joint.
6. drink beer.
Beautiful work.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Rock out with your caulk out?

😐

1641774276398.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Shit grout job?

il_1588xN.3313159979_4jh7.jpg~2.jpg

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't use grout or silicone. Neither will hold up. My installer used a two-part epoxy that was tinted to match the granite. It won't degrade, it matches, and it's waterproof.