GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shipping from USA to Canada = lesson learned

cdwalls

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I figured i would create a thread in the off topic section about my experience with shipping. I was contacted by a buyer (taylormac, good guy :thumbsup:) who was interested in buying my wheels. Now this was my first time shipping wheels let alone shipping them out of the country so i did not know what i was in for. This thread is more of a lesson learned, heres what will happen type of deal. So being really enthusiastic about getting these wheels out of my garage and into taylormacs, I ran to the UPS store to ship these wheels off (buyer and i decided on a flat cost with shipping involved). As i talked with the lady she told me that it would be expencive to ship these off to Canada. She told me that it would cost about 140. I was thinking thats OK and it could be a lot worse. Well after i had filled out 8 pieces of information (2 for each box/wheel), it was time for the final price. As she was ringing it all up, she kinda let out a gasp and then told me the total price was going to be $450.00 and that the 140 or so was per wheel/box. So obviously i considered refunding the money and reversing this whole process but since my buyer was expecting them since i had his payment, the wheels where already boxed up with labels, and i wanted these wheels gone, i let my profit, or rather my breaking even, to take a huge hit... Not to mention Taylormac is picking up the tab for Dutys once it arrives in Canada. HEADACHES :mad0259: Well, there you have it. You can say whatever you want but i just want to let people know what goes into shipping wheels...

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
damn man. taylormac is a good guy. hes local to me.

i must say though, you have shown how all dubbers should treat other dubbers. theres way too many scammers out there now in our community, and it gives me the 'fizz' to hear stories like this one. you da man cdwalls

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Shipping is expensive, but shouldn't you have done more due diligence instead of assuming 140 was for 4 boxes? Unless she said that but wasn't clear..

Zoidbort

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 MKV GTI Revo 2
UPS and FedEx are fucking CROOKS!
Brokerage fees are a total scam and there is a class action lawsuit against them for that very reason.
They even charge you $8 to collect the money owing from you at the door!
A $20 item ends up having an $18 in brokerage fees!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ship USPS!

cdwalls

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
UPS and FedEx are fucking CROOKS!
Brokerage fees are a total scam and there is a class action lawsuit against them for that very reason.
They even charge you $8 to collect the money owing from you at the door!
A $20 item ends up having an $18 in brokerage fees!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ship USPS!

:word:

thanks for the feedback

Taylormac

Taylor Mac
Car(s)
mkv gti
lesson learned thats for sure. i knew it wouldn't be cheap but when i got an email and all it showed was " I have some bad news.." my heart sank and honestly was concerned about losing my money. But cdwalls has been great to deal with! I'm pretty scared to see the bill for duties i have to say. cdwalls and I have worked out a deal so that he doesnt pay all the shipping alone - that's just not fair to him.
once the rims arrive I can sigh with relief, I've wanted these rims for a while now!

ubergeek

broadcasting LIVE
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI APR Tuned
It's probably because you put them into 2 boxes. I've bought many wheels over the years (5 sets) from the States and it's usually under $200 for 4 boxes (roughly $40-50/box). Keep in mind, two boxes is gonna add up in weight and then becomes a "discomfort" for the delivery driver. There are certain restrictions for weight ratio of each box...and yes it get's expensive as it gets heavier. The only thing with shipping 4 boxes is that they may not arrive all at the same time. Shit happens and stuff gets mixed up during transit. Us here in Canada get shitted on with the duty fees/brokerage fees...and if they don't all come in together, you get dinged again when the last one(s) arrive. It's bullshit but what can ya do.

Threads like this can be a deterrent for USA guys to ship wheels to CAnada. Which also sucks, because it's hard to get good wheels up here. But I've always had success with guys shipping USPS with 4 boxes.

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Dude, fuh. You are a good guy for that one though, brah. You totally could have douched out like some people, but handled it extremely good. Props!

Rus.K

PCDT99
It's probably because you put them into 2 boxes. I've bought many wheels over the years (5 sets) from the States and it's usually under $200 for 4 boxes (roughly $40-50/box). Keep in mind, two boxes is gonna add up in weight and then becomes a "discomfort" for the delivery driver. There are certain restrictions for weight ratio of each box...and yes it get's expensive as it gets heavier. The only thing with shipping 4 boxes is that they may not arrive all at the same time. Shit happens and stuff gets mixed up during transit. Us here in Canada get shitted on with the duty fees/brokerage fees...and if they don't all come in together, you get dinged again when the last one(s) arrive. It's bullshit but what can ya do.

Threads like this can be a deterrent for USA guys to ship wheels to CAnada. Which also sucks, because it's hard to get good wheels up here. But I've always had success with guys shipping USPS with 4 boxes.

Almost every time Ive shipped wheels (2) boxes are cheaper than (4). Ive shipped about 10+ sets of wheels all over the US.