GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Service indicator - How does it work

dodweld

Ready to race!
So how does the service indicator work? VW booklet says it "monitors the condition of the oil"

Yeah right... my guess is the computer aveages out min/max revs over time and mileage to gain an impression of how hard car is driven.

Am i right

Some UK owners who are on long life service intervals are getting service now light up as early as 10K miles !

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
dodweld said:
So how does the service indicator work? VW booklet says it "monitors the condition of the oil" Yeah right... my guess is the computer aveages out min/max revs over time and mileage to gain an impression of how hard car is driven. Am i right

I would say you are likely correct. But so is VW's "booklet".

The condition of the oil is very directly related to the time and loading of the engine. This, of course, does not factor in the effects of water and acid collection that occur primarily in cold areas, but I would expect most owner's know they need to change the oil often in cold weather, low load conditions.

My g/f has long life servicing on her polo tdi, it works quite well every 2 years or 20,000 miles, after I had driven it for a week the light came on:biggrin: it had only done 12,000 miles but was nearly 2 years old so I guess you can't complain:biggrin: