GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Serious Decision Time

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Call it my MIDLIFE Crisis....

Just turned 50 but have loved cars all my life. Kids grown and GONE but now the first Grand Son is here (now 2 years old). I want a safe Car and I know the GTI will do it, but my flexibility is shot and getting a 2 year old into a car seat in back is gonna be a pain.

Would love to know if the 5 door is actually going to make it here to the USA.

So... Here are my Questions:

1) Roof Rack options for a Bike Rack?

2) Do I absolutely need to run 91-92 Octane in a GTI?

3) Would a TDI/DSG 5 door be a better option for a Grand Paw?

4) I live in the Snow Belt of NY State. Any of you folks out there have a GTI eith the Stock 17 inch tires and the All-Seasons. How did your GTI do this year?

Most of this I can answer this way. I've wanted a GTI since the first ones were sold here in 1983. I've just never been at the right place in my life to buy one. With 3 kids, a wife and a dog, where was I going to put everyone?

The Bike rack is important. I have odd fit bicycles. One Recumbent and one traditional Tandem and both require a roof mount to do them right. Hatches with Roof Racks look A-OKAY to me, but a Sedan or a Coupe, a rack looks pretty strange.

I tend to drive more defensively than aggressively. When I drove the GTI/DSG the dealer gave me the "schpiel" about how many folks they have had that just wanted to trash the car in a test drive. I drove it like I would in my typical commute. If I needed to pull the trigger I did and fired off the shifts accordingly. This same car had the 18 inch wheels and the Summer Tires on it. FOR "ME" as soon as I got the car on the main Drive away from the dealer I knew I would not like the TIRES on this car. For this area and MY DRIVING it would not be the best of what the car could do for me. I also like the looks of the 17 inch stock wheels.

So Folks.... Here it is. Trash me, Flame me, but I hope someone has some feedback for me.

Thanks,

Chris

AndyAtUMD

Passed Driver's Ed
1) Roof Rack options for a Bike Rack?

yes

2) Do I absolutely need to run 91-92 Octane in a GTI?

yes, hell I use 94 =x

Run the numbers...the extra cost per year isnt as bad as you'd think...infact, its not bad.

3) Would a TDI/DSG 5 door be a better option for a Grand Paw?

Well, This might be the first time I'll say it but yes. With young kids and multiple people the 5dr is simply the way to go. The 3rd would do you fine but the extra hassle will always be there and I dont think the 5dr comes with any regrets...

4) I live in the Snow Belt of NY State. Any of you folks out there have a GTI eith the Stock 17 inch tires and the All-Seasons. How did your GTI do this year?

Maryland doesn't get snow anymore lol. High of 83 today wtf =(

(Good like I'll be in Lake Tahoe next week)

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Welcome.
As a fortysomething who also has always wanted a GTI I would say go for it..
TDi is a good car but you wouldn't want to look back saying "I could have had that GTI but..."

I know in the Uk they do bicycle holders which fit on the roof bars - I seen ones which actually hoist the bike up there for you..
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=6Q0071128

Octane rating is not essential - but the car will run better on the higher octane (also works more in FSI mode)
There is a thread in MK5 tips and Tricks which goes into more detail
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

Brandon

Oval Newbie
101st_IanC said:
TDi is a good car but you wouldn't want to look back saying "I could have had that GTI but..."

Seldom have truer words been spoken. Definitely the best advice! :clap:

AndyAtUMD

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI2007 said:
we here in Belgium can choose between 95 octane and 98 octane on the fuel pump and we get the recommendation from VW to use 98 octane for our GTI

Are you use that Octane and not RON?

I can find 98 around here if I TRY, but at the one place I know its almost 5$ a gallon...

Im putting a full tank of that in once I get an new ECU :bow:

sarpe

Ready to race!
also in Italy it is advised 98 Ron...
with the 91 it's broken off all.. no?

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
AndyAtUMD said:
Are you use that Octane and not RON?

I can find 98 around here if I TRY, but at the one place I know its almost 5$ a gallon...

Im putting a full tank of that in once I get an new ECU :bow:

98 is the RON

I believe the US use MON values whereas Europe use RON values
UK 98 is about 91 in US

It would be nice to pay 5$ for a Gallon - we pay about 6$ for regular gas

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
101st_IanC said:
Welcome.
As a fortysomething who also has always wanted a GTI I would say go for it..

I know in the Uk they do bicycle holders which fit on the roof bars - I seen ones which actually hoist the bike up there for you..
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=6Q0071128

Octane rating is not essential - but the car will run better on the higher octane (also works more in FSI mode)
There is a thread in MK5 tips and Tricks which goes into more detail
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

Ian,

Thanks for the links. I see the approved bike rack system for VW is the Thule Brand, but I am sure that Yakima will be around with simular stuff in short order. After ready the info on the FSI, it makes sense.

Any USA Dealer Types around these parts? Would love to know more about the 5 Door GTI and if it really is coming!

Chris

bilbos

On the Kop
NYDUB said:
Any USA Dealer Types around these parts? Would love to know more about the 5 Door GTI and if it really is coming!

Chris

I asked my local dealer about the 5-door and he wasn't sure on the date of it's arrival. It may be in the latter part of the year though.:frown:

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
Where abouts are you in NY? All seasons should be ok, but the best thing is to put dedicated snows on. I got mine with the 18s and didn't drive in the snow (I refused to buy a set for a few weeks).

I have a 3yo and the 3 door isn't that bad. She gets to climb in and jump up in her car seat. That being said, a 5 door would be a lot easier. I didn't want to wait (and I think my wife didn't want to hear me complain about it either).

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
baat06 said:
Where abouts are you in NY? All seasons should be ok, but the best thing is to put dedicated snows on. I got mine with the 18s and didn't drive in the snow (I refused to buy a set for a few weeks).

I have a 3yo and the 3 door isn't that bad. She gets to climb in and jump up in her car seat. That being said, a 5 door would be a lot easier. I didn't want to wait (and I think my wife didn't want to hear me complain about it either).

Part of the Problem is that I am ANAL about my Car Care. I like keeping my stuff looking like the day it left the showroom or better.

The other problem I have is coming out of the Jeep and going into a 3dr or 5dr is the need to be able to haul stuff for the house or for those long weekends with the wife.

Chris

GTI2007

101st_IanC said:
98 is the RON

I believe the US use MON values whereas Europe use RON values
UK 98 is about 91 in US

It would be nice to pay 5$ for a Gallon - we pay about 6$ for regular gas

Don't forget that the US Gallon is only 3,78541 liter while the UK Gallon is 4,54609 liter. That makes already a big difference. So does it comes that the US GTI has a tank of 14.5 gallon while the UK GTI only has a tank of 12 gallon

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
July release for 5 door, says in the sales brochure premium not required, some loss of performance using regular unleaded.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I was on LI for a while with a GTI, if it's flat, you'll go in snow. All season sport tires are gonna be a handful uphill in deeper snow though, if that's the direction you're leaning, get some nice aftermarket rims and use the stock 17's for snow tires.

The 5-door will be here before fall I'm guessing.

It's a fun little car, go for it, but don't cave if you have a bad back... get the 5-door.