GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling car, remove APR tune?

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
It's time to either sell or trade in my GTI, which has an APR Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune. I'm in California.

Thoughts on having the ECU and TCU reset to stock? I know the APR shop will charge me for this. I'm also tempted to not do anything as it seems more than a few folks have picked up used cars with a tune they didn't know about.

I also have the urban joker tailights from OBDeleven. Definitely setting that back to stock!!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
If you're about to sell it - I would wait until you talk to a few potential buyers, or even advertise it as tuned first. It's only a loss to you to remove it, so might as well try and get some benefit out of it first.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely no benefit to telling a dealer it's tuned.

In a private sale though you're basically obliged to tell someone. Especially since the car will be TD1 and if you've sold the car as retaining the balance of the Warranty you could find yourself in court if you're unlucky.

You might be able to find a buyer to whom the Tune is a selling point but I wouldn't bank on that.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'd flash it back to stock for 2 reasons. One, it's more marketable. No one will pay more for a tuned car, and many will pay less. Some dealers will devalue the car if they know it's tuned.

Second one is simply to avoid screwing the next person when they fill it with 87 and try to drive it around unknowingly on 28psi.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
1. Try to sell it with tune, see what you got.
if that doesn't work, then detune, there are people looking to buy a car with a tune

If you take it off then its a loss. Dealer will screw you 6 ways before you walk in the door. Good luck

Hoon

Autocross Champion
1. Try to sell it with tune, see what you got.
if that doesn't work, then detune, there are people looking to buy a car with a tune

If you take it off then its a loss. Dealer will screw you 6 ways before you walk in the door. Good luck

If he takes it off the dealer will never know because they don't do any deep scans for trade in, and he'll get the standard value for the car.

If he brings it in tuned, he runs the risk of them offering less for it.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If he takes it off the dealer will never know because they don't do any deep scans for trade in, and he'll get the standard value for the car.

If he brings it in tuned, he runs the risk of them offering less for it.
ohhh, i thought they would know for sure that its td1, your right ya he would get more without tune, they want the most stock car, but if they resell and it gets flagged td1, would he be in trouble? since im sure they will ask was it tuned?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
ohhh, i thought they would know for sure that its td1, your right ya he would get more without tune, they want the most stock car, but if they resell and it gets flagged td1, would he be in trouble? since im sure they will ask was it tuned?

It's actually the buyer that gets screwed in that situation.

There is established case law on this because some guy bought a very low mileage CPO RS7 and it blew up immediately after. Audi TD1'd the car and denied the repair, which I'm sure was $30k+ for that car.

The buyer sued the dealer and lost.

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a private sale. I'll either be trading it in, or working with some other dealer to offload the car. The most compelling reason mentioned to detune it first is that the new owner won't know to use high octane fuel. :) I'd like to minimize the risk of problems for me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a private sale. I'll either be trading it in, or working with some other dealer to offload the car. The most compelling reason mentioned to detune it first is that the new owner won't know to use high octane fuel. :) I'd like to minimize the risk of problems for me.

I would be honest and ask the place that you trade it in to if they want the tune removed.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
This in an interesting topic; is there anyway to realistically determine how much value the car will lose if you resell, even if you tune back to stock?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Private party sell it, you'll get more for doing so anyways. And be honest - inform the buyer it's tuned (or has been) so there's no surprises if they take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone who wants a tuned GTI