GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Searching for a mail route vehicle

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My wife's on the pre hire list for a rural mail route so I've been looking for something RHD for her. My minds blown! The prices people ask for 15-20 year old RHD jeeps are outrageous. For example the average for a 97-01 XJ is $7000-12,000, while KBB value is 2-3k. I've considered doing a RHD conversion to a jeep or older full size car but worry about safety since the extra steering wheel blocks the airbag (if it had one to begin with).

I'm looking for suggestions and or advice. For now our budget is fairly small, we don't wanna have a ton of money wrapped up in something she may not like or possibly not work out to be full time. Thanks in advance

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Attachments

• 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 909

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm sure those are like $12,000. Nothing imported RHD is reasonable. Plus a bank would never loan on a 1980s-90s anything.

Today we found a few 03-06ish RHD Wranglers for $7,500-8,500 range so even tho it's more than I really wanted to spend I feel like it's our best bet. Better to get a loan for half than be dumping money into something older

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm sure those are like $12,000. Nothing imported RHD is reasonable. Plus a bank would never loan on a 1980s-90s anything.

Today we found a few 03-06ish RHD Wranglers for $7,500-8,500 range so even tho it's more than I really wanted to spend I feel like it's our best bet. Better to get a loan for half than be dumping money into something older

Is it a requirement she own a RHD vehicle? She can just drive the wrong way, can't she? If it works out, then buy a RHD?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I want her to have A/C and RHD. Factory RHD would be nice or I can do a conversion as long as she doesn't have to reach across the car. I figured if I wouldn't wanna do it she shouldn't have to, so safety, comfort, and reliability are top three priorities.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Was Drving on some rural backgrounds and saw a rhd camry.
Thought that was crazy. Not your typical mail veHicle. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So I ended up going the DIY route as usual, I bought a 1993 XJ for $1000 running and driving with cold AC! Score! Then spent the next three days fabricating and now it's RHD. The factory RHD Cherokee go for 7-14k in similar condition and the RHD conversion kits (bolt on) are $1750. I've got $2,000 in the jeep total now including sales price, new Pro Comp shocks, all new fluids and filters, new all brass rad, high flow water pump, t stat, led strobe light, ect. I'll post a few pics of the build