GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search for RWD Track/Weekend Car (70k Budget)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
And if we got the hatch. Sedans are the second dumbest form of car, eclipsed only by "coupe" SUV's.

Bruh, what're you talking about... this thing is so cool... and practical...

1599850500142.png

Nissan employees weren't smoking crack when they developed it, I don't care what you say.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
As others have said, anything more than a Miata and consumable costs pretty much go through the roof. C5Zs are still cheap and while consumables will certainly be up there, you can run a square 18" tire setup and they only need a few small bits and pieces to be weapons on track. If you can get one for under 20k and keep power stock, that gives you a TON of room in your 70k budget for consumables. And the aftermarket is huge so you can really grow into the car.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I'm leaning more and more toward buying a Lotus and keeping the Mk7... A well sorted Elise can be had for 30-35k and an Exige for 50-55k. Will probably wait until Spring/Summer of 2021 to pull the trigger to try and save on winter storage costs (I only have one garage parking spot). In the meantime, will continue to enjoy the GTI and put some money in the bank.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Man, this thread got me thinking about ditching the gti again for a legit track car... One thing led to another, and before you know it the wife approved the purchase because she's tired of me wrenching every weekend to overcome the next heat issue/weak point of this platform. Consumables will go up by 1200$ every six track days, but I can stuff a 315 tire on :D. All in all, it will cost me 26k more vs the gti on a 6 year basis. Now I just have to convince myself to stop being a cheap bastard and just spend the money :/.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
So, are you just hoping to keep us guessing? What are you looking at?
I'm not ready to share just yet, since I'm still working out details with the guy who owns it currently :).

I will say, 6spd, 320whp, under 3k pounds, rwd, 50:50 weight distribution, NO TURBOS!, and stuffs a 315 tire out back easily. Not many cars that can fit that description ;)

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Man, this thread got me thinking about ditching the gti again for a legit track car... One thing led to another, and before you know it the wife approved the purchase because she's tired of me wrenching every weekend to overcome the next heat issue/weak point of this platform. Consumables will go up by 1200$ every six track days, but I can stuff a 315 tire on :D. All in all, it will cost me 26k more vs the gti on a 6 year basis. Now I just have to convince myself to stop being a cheap bastard and just spend the money :/.
Please tell us you are going Cayman. GTS 4.0??

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I got a C5Z to compliment my Audi S3 DD. To be honest I haven't read the entire thread....but if you want a decent track car setup, having separate cars is the way to go. Otherwise way too much compromise and probably too expensive of a car to have on a race track for me. Based on your budget, sounds like 2 cars should not be an issue. Any C5 questions let me know!

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I got a C5Z to compliment my Audi S3 DD. To be honest I haven't read the entire thread....but if you want a decent track car setup, having separate cars is the way to go. Otherwise way too much compromise and probably too expensive of a car to have on a race track for me. Based on your budget, sounds like 2 cars should not be an issue. Any C5 questions let me know!
Thanks, that is the direction I am headed. Right now its a toss up between E36 M3, 2008-09 Cayman S, Miata, and a Lotus Elise/Exige.