GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Satisfied with APR chip?

Alstaregsxr

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Who here is satisfied with there apr chip?ive got a 6spd and thinking of chipping it for my first mod, just would like some feedback from some 6spd chipped guys. Big diffrence or just minor?

Thanks,

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to get mine done this thursday and can't wait!!! I have PM'd people who have done it and they have had nothing but good things to say about it. Go for it!

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
hey alstaregsxr, i've got the APR reflash. when i first got the chip, i was told the 93 setting would be in the first slot and the stock setting would be in the 2nd slot, but it felt the complete opposite. that kinda worried me so i brought my car back up to the dealer and had them run a vag-com. some error codes were thrown so they just reflashed it all over again. it definitely seemed right the second time. and between stock and 93 is a huge difference. the reflash definitely gives you a lot more power all over the rev range especially when you hit 3 grand.

but now after having it for about 5 weeks or so, it doesnt feel like it did the day i got it installed. it really doesnt give you that "HOLY SHIT" feel at 3 grand as much and the car just feels weaker. the day it started to feel weaker was when i decided to switch it back to stock from the 93 setting just to see how the stock setting felt. the stock setting literally felt like there was nothing there and the car never felt like that at even when stock. i dont know if its cuz i really got used to the 93 setting or what. but when i put it back on 93, it didnt feel the same at all. so i have no idea whats going on but im gonna try and head up to the dealer sometime soon and see if they can find anything wrong with it again. if there is anything else wrong, i think i just might say screw it to apr and go with either revo or giac.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
APR is more of a gentleman's Chip IMHO. Whereas GIAC is balls out from begin to end. Not that APR is a bad chip by any means.
And BTW, you are probably getting used to the power. It hasn't gone away... you are just getting used to it.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
APR is more of a gentleman's Chip IMHO. Whereas GIAC is balls out from begin to end. Not that APR is a bad chip by any means.
And BTW, you are probably getting used to the power. It hasn't gone away... you are just getting used to it.

APR makes quality products. APR actually ENGINEERS their products, unlike some companies (ATP)

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
I have been sporting APR since couple of days and extremely happy with it. Keep in mind the first couple of hundred miles, you have to drive it aggresively, your ECU is going to adapt to your driving habits. If you drive it slow, your throttle responses are going to be slower. Wildhare had a good point, after quite sometime you get used to the power, and you will not have that OMG feeling, that is how tuners hook us up, and then we ask for more:biggrin:

Right now, i am driving it like i stole it. The same thing has happened when i had my Mini Cooper S, the same mods as my friends car, mine felt more responsive and quicker. APR is definetely quality, and like the previous poster said, GIAC is more tear it off style. Different folks, different strokes.

Azn_Esprit

Oval Champion
scuderiavw said:
I have been sporting APR since couple of days and extremely happy with it. Keep in mind the first couple of hundred miles, you have to drive it aggresively, your ECU is going to adapt to your driving habits. If you drive it slow, your throttle responses are going to be slower. Wildhare had a good point, after quite sometime you get used to the power, and you will not have that OMG feeling, that is how tuners hook us up, and then we ask for more:biggrin:

Right now, i am driving it like i stole it. The same thing has happened when i had my Mini Cooper S, the same mods as my friends car, mine felt more responsive and quicker. APR is definetely quality, and like the previous poster said, GIAC is more tear it off style. Different folks, different strokes.

Does the ECU adapt to your driving even if it's in the normal mode?

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
yeah i probably am just getting used to it which in a way kinda sucks cuz i always wanna have that "OMG! i'M GONNA CRAP MY PANTS!!!" feeling. and im definitely not stopping at just the chip. i plan on getting an exhaust soon but im confused which to buy. has anyone found out what the apr exhaust is going to look like? im hoping they'll have a setup just like militek has with the quad tips.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
coolme187 said:
APR makes quality products. APR actually ENGINEERS their products, unlike some companies (ATP)
Elaborate on ATP.

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
Elaborate on ATP.

I bought a testpipe from them for my old B5 1.8T. The flanges on the pipe didnt even match the bolts that came with the pipe. Afterthat, the testpipe had to be sanded down to even fit the car. I guess you have had better luck with them

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
im sorry this is a little out of subject, but damnit wild hare who the heck is that fruity ass lookin dude on ur avatar. i know mine aint the greatest but that avatar seriously needs to go :laugh:

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
blackmkv said:
im sorry this is a little out of subject, but damnit wild hare who the heck is that fruity ass lookin dude on ur avatar. i know mine aint the greatest but that avatar seriously needs to go :laugh:

Dude thats Will Ferrel! More cowbell!