GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I was hoping for some better ones to come out, in public at least, as teams have their own photographers too... Its not quite as exposing as the Merc one... but you can see how complex their floor is, its so sculpted/3D.... A lot more going on that the Merc floor!

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Quite a bit more complex compared to others.

Really looking forward to Spain, should be far more representative of who's package is doing what. Channeling the 2016 Spanish GP energy for a lap 1 incident between the RBs. But that would require Checo to be near Max in Quali.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
it's already been said, but MAN what a quali session. most fun session I've seen in quite a while. also most fun GP at Monaco that I can remember. like a few others, I was also screaming at the TV when Alonso pitted for softs -- I had flashbacks to Vettel pitting for slicks at the Turkish GP a couple years back.

Luckily it was a cheap mistake for Alonso, as I truly don't think he had the pace to catch Max if he had gone in for Inters from the beginning. But that would've at least kept my hopes alive for some more laps...

Speaking of pace, I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around how Max managed to pull 3 tenths out of a few corners in that final sector in quali. FAK, it really looked like it'd be an Alonso pole after Max's first 2 sectors. Incredible laps from both of them.

Again, speaking about crazy things Max managed to do... 55 laps on a set of Mediums huh? What in the fuck

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Another angle of the RB19 floor, but lower quality.

IMG_1632.jpeg

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Luckily it was a cheap mistake for Alonso, as I truly don't think he had the pace to catch Max if he had gone in for Inters from the beginning. But that would've at least kept my hopes alive for some more laps...

Saw a guy who had put together some "what if" data on Reddit and it came to the conclusion that Alonso may have actually been able to win if he had gotten the Inters first. Wasn't it literally the lap after he put on slicks that the rain quickly got worse?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Saw a guy who had put together some "what if" data on Reddit and it came to the conclusion that Alonso may have actually been able to win if he had gotten the Inters first. Wasn't it literally the lap after he put on slicks that the rain quickly got worse?

I think Max sliding around on his mediums the lap before he pitted would've allowed Alonso to catch up within fighting distance (if he had put on inters first, since he pitted before Max). But imo all it would've given us was false hope. You can see the deltas of ALO and OCO to Max in this article. You see Alonso gradually slipping away.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/05/29...ium-tyre-call-and-did-it-cost-alonso-victory/

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Right, and Max is an animal in wet conditions anyhow so it's all just a fun theoretical. IIRC the guy on Reddit basically said this: start with a 27 second gap, subtract 20 seconds due to the second pit stop. Here's other drivers sector times while ALO was on slicks, here's ALO's sector times on Inters. Put that together and run it backward and viola he would have improved by 8 seconds. 27 - 20 - 8 = -1

I really, really wanted him to get it as it was a great chance for him to win.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
as long as ALO had gotten ahead of VER during his stop then it would have been ALO's race because you cant pass. either that or OCO would have won when max did one of his dumb "either youre backing out or we're both crashing" moves.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Right, and Max is an animal in wet conditions anyhow so it's all just a fun theoretical. IIRC the guy on Reddit basically said this: start with a 27 second gap, subtract 20 seconds due to the second pit stop. Here's other drivers sector times while ALO was on slicks, here's ALO's sector times on Inters. Put that together and run it backward and viola he would have improved by 8 seconds. 27 - 20 - 8 = -1

I really, really wanted him to get it as it was a great chance for him to win.

You and me both, I'm just a pessimist. Monaco was probably the best chance for a non-RBR win and Max dominated the race convincingly. I think the reddit guy's math is optimistic, imo. This will be one of the most dominant F1 seasons in history. I've already split the season up into F1 and F0.5 in my head, just to keep things fun. Alonso has won nearly every "F1" race this season and even came in P2 in the F0.5 series. He's a beast.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
worst F1 season of all time

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)