GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
I personally don't care, but I bet there are PLENTY of people that are fuming having sat through the launch expecting something different. Kudos to RB and their marketing team to get everyone to tune in after teasing the black and white photo of the car over social media.

The US races are supposed to be a one off livery that someone/fan(s) get to design. That'll be interesting, I kind of hope a 5 year old gets to do it.
i hope they dont bc the teams always fuck up shit like that.

they just translate the exact scribbles over instead of what the kid actually wants it to look like

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Noooooooo way, gimme the exact scribbles, I love that goofy shit.

Like Landos helmet he did w/ the 6 year old's artwork. Just as it was drawn.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
nah bc i guarantee thats not what the kid wanted it to look like.

for example, a few years ago the P2 winner at the Rolex had a kid design that copied everything exactly.
1675438239403.png

1675438257826.png

like, you can clearly tell that the kid wanted those sections fully in those colors, not just scribbled lines.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
nah bc i guarantee thats not what the kid wanted it to look like.

for example, a few years ago the P2 winner at the Rolex had a kid design that copied everything exactly.
View attachment 272074
View attachment 272075

like, you can clearly tell that the kid wanted those sections fully in those colors, not just scribbled lines.

I'd argue this shit is fiiiiiiiiire. This is incredibly unique. I don't think I'd enjoy the "translated" livery as much.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
I'd argue this shit is fiiiiiiiiire. This is incredibly unique. I don't think I'd enjoy the "translated" livery as much.

Agreed, that looks kinda cool. I mean, at a certain point a bunch of random solid painted sections gets a bit old too, like you want to see something different.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Williams today vs last year. I hope they can really close the gap up to the midfield this year. It would be good to see them remotely competitive again.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Looks like they debuted the car and not just the livery? Big changes to the cooling louvres and maybe some floor tweaks visible.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I like that the air intake looks like a duracell battery

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
nah that's late season spec for last year car.

You're probably right, but the louvres look more extensive on the release car than that pic. I should keep in mind that most teams won't reveal their actual designs until testing.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
i know the wheels are made by like bbs but with them having covers on them im surprised an f1 team hasn't secured a wheel sponsorship just to stick a design of said manufacture on the wheel cover.

for example someone getting a rays sponsorship and slapping a decal on the cover that makes it look like a TE37 or CE28N.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
i know the wheels are made by like bbs but with them having covers on them im surprised an f1 team hasn't secured a wheel sponsorship just to stick a design of said manufacture on the wheel cover.

for example someone getting a rays sponsorship and slapping a decal on the cover that makes it look like a TE37 or CE28N.

Enkei and McLaren have been such a great partnership.