GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RS3 Coilpacks on Mk7 GTI

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Looks like a solution to a non-existent problem.

No thanks.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why does there need to be a problem before an upgrade/improvement can/should be made?

Because upgrading things that aren't needed to support a given power level is, at best, an inefficient use of resources.

I'm sure the stock ignition will consistently ignite a charge far more dense than 99% of people will ever throw at it.

Going from one adequate OEM coil to a slightly better one is not going to yield significant gains.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Because upgrading things that aren't needed to support a given power level is, at best, an inefficient use of resources.

I'm sure the stock ignition will consistently ignite a charge far more dense than 99% of people will ever throw at it.

Going from one adequate OEM coil to a slightly better one is not going to yield significant gains.

And you know this because you have researched the rs3 plugs against oem I'm sure right?

Or is this an assumption you are making based on absolutely nothing?

Because HS tuning did note based on their testing there were improvements. But am waiting for them to post their findings.

Last edited:

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Because HS tuning did note based on their testing there were improvements. But am waiting for them to post their findings.
I could see this as a good repair option when needed. So has HS commented at all yet on the difference with these?

alerxovawo

Ready to race!
This ignition stuff is getting ridiculous. Don't fix what isn't broken. I'm APR is38 FBO and run stock plugs and coils. Car runs amazing. Logs are great, I just switch out the plugs on a 8-10k interval.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
And you know this because you have researched the rs3 plugs against oem I'm sure right?

Or is this an assumption you are making based on absolutely nothing?

Im making assumptions based on experience.

I don't care about any of the electrical testing that vendors are likely to publish. Let's get to the point, do you think you will see a single mph of trap speed with this mod? A single MPG?

If yes, why are guys like Tyler Aul throwing $20k+ in mods at their car to trap 140+, but not bothering to upgrade coils?

Coils are a supporting mod, and I don't think I've seen an EA888 Gen 3 yet that is actually exceeding the capacity of the stock ones.

I've purchased one set of coils (and each coil cost more than that set). That was because I couldn't light off a turbo, 12.3:1 compression, E85 motor even with plug gaps down to .016".

Ultimately that was stupid, I could have overdriven the stock coils and gotten better results for half the cost. Just keep a spare $40 junkyard set on the shelf in the unlikely event that one of them burned up.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'll be curious to see more on this as people do try them out. I think there is proof showing we don't need them, but possibly could give that little more at higher boost pressures.

I think it's too soon to write them off and no data on them yet.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion