GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RPF1 Fitment Questions

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
I've been researching in LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels, VWvortex, reddit, etc.. but not finding exact answers.

I'm looking to buy a pair of RPF1's. 18x8 +35 with a 235/40. Will be lowered on KW V2's about an 1" - 1.25". I would go with 18x9 +35 with a 225, but have heard that's cutting it too close.

Aside from the fender screw mod, anyone see any potential rubbing or scraping in front or rear?

Any other size suggestions are welcome, I'd just like a flush fitment without the scraping/rubbing and avoiding rolling fenders, as that's a more permanent solution.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
my car on 18x8et35 20/65-18 (235/40/18) with a 202mm tread width and 225mm section width fyi.

1B410AB5-0648-41BF-984A-42481A60B310.jpeg
1E7A2DE2-E464-4142-A1E1-D176EBF77DBD.jpeg
96728F53-9E19-4173-A1E4-9F5D1BDB85D6.jpeg
AFFA628C-D8DB-4D18-9BF4-4928BDE74792.jpeg

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I am running those exact specs, (18x8 +35 RPF1 with 235/40/18 Falken 615k+ on KWv1s lowered about 1-1.5 inch all around). I did the fender screw mod and rarely rub up front on the street. On track it rubs a bit upfront while cornering extra hard. Addding some camber may allow you to go lower than me upfront. The rear isnt an issue at all.
IMG_3576.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg
IMG_3577.jpg

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
I am running those exact specs, (18x8 +35 RPF1 with 235/40/18 Falken 615k+ on KWv1s lowered about 1-1.5 inch all around). I did the fender screw mod and rarely rub up front on the street. On track it rubs a bit upfront while cornering extra hard. Addding some camber may allow you to go lower than me upfront. The rear isnt an issue at all.
.View attachment 266868View attachment 266870View attachment 266869
Exact look I'm going for, appreciate that! Any shots from behind? Or top of wheel?

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I run 18x9 with 235/40 Bridgestone RE71RS tires on the front. Bilstein B16s, 034 top mounts, whiteline lower control arms and ball joints, lowered maybe an 1.5" or so. Camber is -2.8-2.9°. Slight rub on the back of the bumper where it meets the fender on hard dips, no rubbing on hard turning.

If you duplicated these specs but kept stock LCAs, you should have zero rubbing.

20220912_120858.jpg

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
I run 18x9 with 235/40 Bridgestone RE71RS tires on the front. Bilstein B16s, 034 top mounts, whiteline lower control arms and ball joints, lowered maybe an 1.5" or so. Camber is -2.8-2.9°. Slight rub on the back of the bumper where it meets the fender on hard dips, no rubbing on hard turning.

If you duplicated these specs but kept stock LCAs, you should have zero rubbing.

View attachment 267016
Looks amazing dude. I'm debating whether or not to go 18x8 or 9. Between the two, would dictate what width tire I'd go with (225 or 235). I don't want to be stuck with a 18x9 and it rub, as opposed to going 18x8 and being able to pick and choose using a spacer or not. Hard choices tbh.

What top mount would you recommend for the KW's? And what's the exact benefit? Easier camber adjustability?

Also, do you have anymore shots of the car?

Last edited:

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ah I don't at the moment unfortunately.

I spent a fair bit of time googling tire sizes on 18x9s. Generally comparing the sidewall sizes and sidewall stretch e.t.c. then pulling up and comparing the hard specs between tire manufacturers and cross referencing all that with the wheel offset calculator. I was 17x8 +45 square on 235/45 A052 before, but that tire has the contact patch of like a 245 at least – super meaty.

Knowing the 18x9 lip is something like 22.5mm farther out, I knew I couldn't go wider than a 235 and that a slight stretch (think Tesla sport models). Ideally I want 255s up front but that won't happen without wide fenders and that requires a full front end respray blended into the doors and I'm not in a place to drop about 3200 plus whatever a rental costs for what's ultimately purely cosmetic.

This accomplished everything I was looking for. A wider track, sharper steering response, maintain more sidewall than factory, stay within a realistic price so I can justify the better/best tires (200tw). Also my car journey is deeply rooted in 90s jdm Hondas so it's a nod to the double reverse stagger race garages used to do.

As far as mounts, there are options. Fixed mounts are 034, whiteline, superpro. You can buy adjustable ones but that requires cutting the shock towers to adjust.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Ah I don't at the moment unfortunately.

I spent a fair bit of time googling tire sizes on 18x9s. Generally comparing the sidewall sizes and sidewall stretch e.t.c. then pulling up and comparing the hard specs between tire manufacturers and cross referencing all that with the wheel offset calculator. I was 17x8 +45 square on 235/45 A052 before, but that tire has the contact patch of like a 245 at least – super meaty.

Knowing the 18x9 lip is something like 22.5mm farther out, I knew I couldn't go wider than a 235 and that a slight stretch (think Tesla sport models). Ideally I want 255s up front but that won't happen without wide fenders and that requires a full front end respray blended into the doors and I'm not in a place to drop about 3200 plus whatever a rental costs for what's ultimately purely cosmetic.

This accomplished everything I was looking for. A wider track, sharper steering response, maintain more sidewall than factory, stay within a realistic price so I can justify the better/best tires (200tw). Also my car journey is deeply rooted in 90s jdm Hondas so it's a nod to the double reverse stagger race garages used to do.

As far as mounts, there are options. Fixed mounts are 034, whiteline, superpro. You can buy adjustable ones but that requires cutting the shock towers to adjust.
Which whiteline arms do you have?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I believe the 252 version.

Wait until holiday deals and search coupon codes. I've used them in conjunction before, so I order direct from them.
Appreciate you looking out lol. I have the Superpro arms, just trying to figure out how much caster was added for you.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
This is where my setup sits right now. I don't remember factory numbers.
View attachment 267047
Pretty similar overall to me. I'm thinking about getting 17x9 RPF1s, but I'd need to run a pretty aggressive +30 offset. Going to do a test fit with my current wheels + spacers to see if there's any problems with rubbing.