GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

routing air lines

kush

sv_gravity 0
does anyone have any pictures of how they ran their air lines to the outside of the car? i'm thinking of going through the rubber grommets in the spare wheel well but i'm not sure what's under there (gas tank, exhaust, etc). also i want to keep my spare if possible.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
On vortex air suspension section they have awesome pics. Search "running air lines into hatch mk5". I believe darcness took some pics that were really helpful. The only thing to look out for when drilling holes in the trunk is the gas tank. Also someone came up with the idea of a spacer to push the spare tire up a few inches to alleviate any air lines being pinched.

Falut

vtak yo
I ran all mine through the grommet on the left side, there isn't anything underneath that one. Also the spacer idea is kinda cool and I made one but ended up not even needing it, the spare doesn't really sit on the lines in the first place.

kush

sv_gravity 0
I ran all mine through the grommet on the left side, there isn't anything underneath that one. Also the spacer idea is kinda cool and I made one but ended up not even needing it, the spare doesn't really sit on the lines in the first place.

left side as in driver's side? i'm mostly worried about heat from the exhaust. i haven't really lifted the car up and looked so i'm not sure how big of a problem this poses, if any.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Keep them away from the exhaust and you shouldnt have any issues.

Falut

vtak yo
left side as in driver's side? i'm mostly worried about heat from the exhaust. i haven't really lifted the car up and looked so i'm not sure how big of a problem this poses, if any.

Yea drivers side. When you get down there it is pretty easy to see how to safely route the lines

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Run it where the fuel lines are and yea zipties can work in some spots

kush

sv_gravity 0
yea i guess i'll cross that bridge when i get there. would be cool to get some ideas though if anyone took some pictures while they were doing the install.

OVRWRKD

Ready to race!
I run them through the grommets under the spare tire, or I use bulkheads. If you google rat4life flickr, he has alot of photos of how he/I run lines. by the exhaust just go up and around the heat shield. I use these clamps under ther car, they're plastic, with small self tapping screws.

Rus.K

PCDT99
I run them through the grommets under the spare tire, or I use bulkheads. If you google rat4life flickr, he has alot of photos of how he/I run lines. by the exhaust just go up and around the heat shield. I use these clamps under ther car, they're plastic, with small self tapping screws.

^ Listen to this guy, hes got alot of great info on vortex about air installs :thumbsup: