GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough idle in traffic

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Just got my car back after getting lot of work done in main dealer.

Mani replaced new thermostat and service incl. spark plugs. Just done along drive in it and pulled in half way to get some food, noticed vibration in cabin like a misfire but engine is moving which is causing the vibration. The car had coils changed at some stage not sure when, have a set there which I haven’t put in yet.

Would my first port of call be changing the coils as well and see what happens ? When dealer replaced mani they said they cleaned ports as much as possible as they were pretty bad with carbon buildup.

Any suggestions greatly welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
If the coils were defective you would have misfires at high RPM. Seems more spark plug related to me. But it can also be other things, did you check the PCV?

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
If the coils were defective you would have misfires at high RPM. Seems more spark plug related to me

Plugs just done by my main dealer along with service, might call them tomorrow and see can they check. Only got the car back off them yesterday, drove it short journeys yesterday. Today was its first long drive (240km) stopped halfway and felt like the engine was juddering a lot, when I tried to raise my revs while stationary it sounds like its misfiring.

Pcv valve done by previous owner 30,000 kms ago, diagnostic all cleared when they have the car back to me. So annoying, once the car is going it’s fine.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
As recommended to you in your other post take it back to dealer and have them check their work. If you have a scan tool you could check to see if you have any new trouble codes so you don't go back to dealer uninformed.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
As recommended to you in your other post take it back to dealer and have them check their work. If you have a scan tool you could check to see if you have any new trouble codes so you don't go back to dealer uninformed.

Thanks, I’m currently away on holidays for next two days but I might call them tomorrow and let them know. I bought an obd generic scanner which I actually brought with me as the car has just had a lot of work done so wanted to be extra safe, will give it a scan in the morning and see if anything comes up

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Tried to plug in an obd generic scanner but doesn’t seem to work, it’s getting power but can’t link to car. Anyway started the car and the car and the idle is as rough as fuck. Temp here is 2c was around 8/10c yesterday, rang garage and told them it’s developed an issue so they are going to take it back in tomorrow

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Tried to plug in an obd generic scanner but doesn’t seem to work, it’s getting power but can’t link to car. Anyway started the car and the car and the idle is as rough as fuck. Temp here is 2c was around 8/10c yesterday, rang garage and told them it’s developed an issue so they are going to take it back in tomorrow

An ODB II generic scanner won't help much as it will only show the most important ENGINE faults. You need a scanning tool like VCDS to go deeper, especially to log individual engine components data or do components testing which might give you a clue about your problem.

To connect your ODB scanner, plug it in, turn ignition on (no need to start the engine), open your app and select the ODB device. It might take several seconds to figure out the correct communication protocol. Also it might take some tries to connect.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
An ODB II generic scanner won't help much as it will only show the most important ENGINE faults. You need a scanning tool like VCDS to go deeper, especially to log individual engine components data or do components testing which might give you a clue about your problem.

To connect your ODB scanner, plug it in, turn ignition on (no need to start the engine), open your app and select the ODB device. It might take several seconds to figure out the correct communication protocol. Also it might take some tries to connect.

Thanks pal much appreciated , tried it this morning in the hotel car park but no joy. It didn’t throw a cel yesterday or today when I started it but it was really rough on startup from cold so I just switched it off and the rang the dealer. I’ve a 300 km trip back home tomorrow and I have to leave it with them when I get home. I’m just hoping and praying it’s the coils and hoping and praying it gets me home, 2 grand lighter and still having problems with this fucking car, only other thing I can think of is carbon buildup , obviously it could be a multitude of things but most common are coils or carbon

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a quick update, back in dealers this morning , misfire showing in cylinder 1, coils changed but misfire showing again, it’s booked in again for Monday for a fuel injector replacement, car has good compression throughout so hopefully the new injector sorts it once and for all