GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotor Break Pad Question

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
:help:
I'm trying to buy a new set of rear brake pads and rotors and my buddy works at a European auto parts store near by. He is going to hook me up with a set because he gets a discount on them but he needs to know which size rear rotor to order because there is two listed when he pulls up my VIN.

He says for rear rotors in his system they have 11.5 or 12.25 inches in diameter.

I checked owners manual and couldn't find size and called the parts department at my local VW and they said the only size they have listed is 282 by 12 mm which converts to 11.1 inches. So naturally I am assuming its the smaller of the two..?

I don't know I'm not even sure if it matters. But if you have any idea and could help me out I would appreciate it. Damn brakes are sooo bad and I want to have them changed out before this weekend.

Thanks.

I apologize if If this is answered somewhere but I did a forum search and couldn't find the information I need. If there is and you could link me I'd appreciate it

Last edited:

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
BRAKE not BREAK

286x12mm is the stock rear rotor size for GTIs

itsYANO

08 GTI mkV Midnight Black
Car(s)
08 GTI mkV
yes. 11.5 inches = 292mm. close enough

Thanks man.. rear brake pads + rear rotors = $60 out the door.. good deal!:thumbsup:

Is there a diy for the mkv rear rotors and pads that anyone knows of? I've done them before just not on this car. I'm assuming it's pretty straight forward though.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Thanks man.. rear brake pads + rear rotors = $60 out the door.. good deal!:thumbsup:

Is there a diy for the mkv rear rotors and pads that anyone knows of? I've done them before just not on this car. I'm assuming it's pretty straight forward though.

try the search function, there is a very nice DIY on this forum. You will need a special bit for the rears (explained in the DIY)

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
Thanks buddy. Found meats diy. Friday should be fun

Yup good DIY.

I know we've done his brakes many-a-times at the track and in the parking lot as school... haha good times.