GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roadside trouble

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
OK so I'm on my way home on the interstate after about 150 miles of driving in 107° weather when my car suddenly loses power for just a second and then gets it back. It was as if I let off the gas pedal completely for half a second and then went back to normal. I had the A/C running and cruise control on. It did it every couple minutes. When I got off the interstate and started driving at lower speeds, it still did it. Does it with A/C on and with it off. With cruise control on and with it off. Right before my trip I filled up at a Shell station. I've filled up there before. Coolant is good, oil is low (got some en route), my catch can is about 1/3 full (will empty when my engine cools). I'm charging my laptop that I just happened to have on me and then I'll do a scan.

Any ideas? I figured I'd post something here while I bake in the searing sun and wait.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
My current mileage is 74301 miles (119576 km)Here are my codes:

008851 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276)
P2293 - 002 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 119562 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:47:52

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2945 /min
Load: 81.1 %
Speed: 121.0 km/h
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 54.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.589 V

012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation
P310B - 004 - Fuel Pressure Outside Specification - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 119563 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:48:17

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2933 /min
Load: 29.0 %
Speed: 120.0 km/h
Temperature: 90.0°C
Temperature: 54.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 980.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.462 V

These faults are showing that they are very recent, but only occurring two and three times. My car had these hiccups several times before I got somewhere I could stop.

roruss08gti

Have you been RickRolled?
Car(s)
08 GTI
What model do you have FSI or TSI?

If FSI, have you checked your cam follower lately?

This sounds and looks very similar to what I had when my intake cam failed and ate through my follower, HPFP plunger and spring.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
What model do you have FSI or TSI?

If FSI, have you checked your cam follower lately?

This sounds and looks very similar to what I had when my intake cam failed and ate through my follower, HPFP plunger and spring.

It's an FSI. 2006. I changed the cam follower relatively not many miles ago. The cam follower I pulled from the pump when I did the change didn't look bad at all. And giving some of the other problems I had when I got the car, I'd be surprised if it had ever been replaced. I'd check it, though, when I get some tools.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
The fuel pump control module (black box ontop of the fuel pump cover) under the rear seat overheats. There is a TSB for it. I bought the updated parts, but it still does it to me when its hot out on long drives. My fix involves pulling the rear seat up and throwing a bag of ice ontop of it. It works for me every time even though its inconvenient.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Holy crap that sounds like a pain. I've never pulled the rear seat, but I have looked around it wondering how to do that before. It didn't seem like an easy job. Definitely not a road side task in (now) 115 degree heat... Any tips for doing that? Is it easier than I'm expecting?

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
After letting things cool down, I drove home (about 20 minutes) without any issues. So its looking like probably the overheating control module. So I guess I need to look into that.

roruss08gti

Have you been RickRolled?
Car(s)
08 GTI
It's an FSI. 2006. I changed the cam follower relatively not many miles ago. The cam follower I pulled from the pump when I did the change didn't look bad at all. And giving some of the other problems I had when I got the car, I'd be surprised if it had ever been replaced. I'd check it, though, when I get some tools.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many times you change the cam follower, the failure comes not in the follower but in the cam lobe itself. The more you run on the cam lobe, the more it deteriorates the face of the lobe and eats up the follower much quicker. I changed mine religiously every 5,000-7,000 miles with every oil change and I still destroyed mine. I got the updated cam and replaced the HPFP, all under warranty. You may want to go to your dealership and get it checked out.

Holy crap that sounds like a pain. I've never pulled the rear seat, but I have looked around it wondering how to do that before. It didn't seem like an easy job. Definitely not a road side task in (now) 115 degree heat... Any tips for doing that? Is it easier than I'm expecting?

If this is the issue, then it will take you a whopping 2 minutes to take out the bottom of the back seat. Thats all you need to take out.

Pull up the front with some force, not a lot. It will pop up. then push the seat backwards to unhook it and then you are done.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Now that I'm back with my tools I'll give it a check. But that will have to wait till morning when it cools off. I didn't have any problems after I let my car, and the ambient temperature, today cool off, though. And when I changed my follower I inspected the lobe (as well as I could, which isn't as well as I probably should) and it wasn't showing any signs of wear at all. And the follower looked surprisingly good, so that's suggests minimal lobe wear. So all those things considered I hope I'm in the clear with the lobe/follower issue. But I'll check it out anyways because things may have changed. My to-do list grows longer...

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
It also helps to keep a high level of fuel in your car, the fuel will help cool off the lpfp