GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Road Side of the Side Extensions Cleaning

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Since I ran out of other things to clean on my car I tried cleaning them. I tried WD-40 since it usually works well for road tar. It didn't do much. I'm leery of using strong solvents but I did try carburetor cleaner. Even that didn't do much. I was going to try naphtha but I don't have enough. Anyone use something that's effective and won't damage the paint?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Well, after watching Youtube videos and experimentation I've found that using Meguiars Cleaner Wax and a combination red Scotchbrite/sponge works well. I would never use it where it's visible though. Comparatively little rubbing to get the worst spots off and the red Scotchbrite doesn't seem to scratch as long as you keep it wet with the wax. Red is advertised being for delicate work. You'll never see it unless you're under the car anyway, but it's good exercise. I used a strong light and a mirror so I didn't need to lay on the garage floor. The best part is I had both on hand. Used up the last sponge pad, so thank you Amazon.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i had a tar and wax removal for paint prep that is paint safe but can't find a link to it (oh it's just rustoleum tar and wax remover). That soaked into a mf cloth. Glad you got it squared away. I keep it with my detail box.

Last edited: