GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rip off Britain

Ant1974

Ready to race!
Prices on vw.com (US) for a Golf GTI start from $21,990.That is around £12,500 for us Brits. If U.S buyers had our prices it would be around $35,000.

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

GTI DSG Freude am Fahren

Drag Race Newbie
Ant1974 said:
Prices on vw.com (US) for a Golf GTI start from $21,990.That is around £12,500 for us Brits. If U.S buyers had our prices it would be around $35,000.

I guess the US price is plus tax (because tax in the US vary). I was also astonished because the GTI starts in Germany at 24 000€ (with 16%tax), I payed 32 000 minus sales discount

hmmm??? so im in germany now... do i buy now (soon) and drive on the autobahn or do i save some money and buy in the states?

opinions?

mk1-fan

Drag Race Newbie
Ant1974 said:

You can't compare US prices to the rest of the world. For some reason their cars are much cheaper than anywhere else. My GTI (fully specced) cost me R260000, which is about $37000. It's sad, I agree.:frown:

GTI2007

Ant1974 said:

your prices are also higher because you have the steer on the right while America has the steer of the left. That's something like 1000 £ (1900 $) they don't have to buy

glasgow_ffm

Go Kart Newbie
Hiya,

@GTi Fanatic
whether you should buy your GTI in Germany or in the US would - in my honest opinion - depend on 2 main questions that only you can answer to yourself:

a. Do I want to have fun now?
In this case buying your car in Germany is a must. Can't imagine that you will have such a fun with a car like the GTI in the USA. You just don't have an Autobahn ...

b. What about the taxes in the US? Does it really come cheaper than in Germany when I add these? (By the way: how high are the taxes for a case?) And are the cars really comparable, are there any things in the German version that are not included in the American one?

By the way: I paid app. 32.000 Euro (also with 16 % VAT) , but my one's stuffed with a lot of extras ... anyway, must be somewhere about 38.000 Dollars ...

Just don't forget: VAT is going to rise next year, so if you want the car in good old Germany, than do it this year!

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Yeah such a shame...thats what you get with a country that would rather spend more money on weapons rather than roads, medicare, education etc.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
paid 12.3k for a golf in england. that money would have bought me a GTI in the states!

in the states we are not dont have the VAT.
all you have to worry about is what package and options you put on the car i.e. pkg 2 with satelite, and sat nav. est price $27000.

insurance maybe is 200 a month tops??? (anyone know)

then of course gasoline.

luckily we dont get taxed for hp like you do in germany.
so it is really just purchase cost and insurance.
and the price of tickets, not really for speeding but cops in my state have goals to meet so they have to give out a certain amount every month.

in germany you have purchase price € v. $ (1.18 exchange)
VAT tax (associated with kw?)
insurance, and getting my 1000€ fuhrerschein
... and more expensive gas

the main difference between the US and EU GTI is the ride height.
The US GTI is higher to comply with Fn SUVs
there are also indicator lites on the bumper
and the hufeweisen rims are an option
and we dont get that cool vw bottle openner in the cup holder

Last edited:

bondstreet

Ready to race!
I am a VW stock holder and I read in a report that VW has a loss on every car they send to the USA. With the weak dollar all european car manufactures are strugiling with US sales bottom lines.

If they did not take a loss they would not be competitive.

einfahrt

Passed Driver's Ed
I am currently in germany and will be going back to the states in about a year. I will be recieving my GTI in about 1 month from now (I hope). I would say buy the car now and have fun before you go back to the speed limits!:thumbup: