GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REVO Stage One - messed up MFD on MKV

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Evening guys,

Long time reader, finally manned up and got the Revo after my last 10k, figured car was broken in and I knew what it was all about in stock mode.

Was assured Revo Stage One would not do anything wrong to my car, so went ahead with it.

Be advised...this was not the case for me. I have the latest updates from VW, I just had my 10k done on my 2008 5 door 6spM GTI.

Long story short immediately after my stage one was installed, the MFD exhibited some strange behavior. Basically when the driver door is open the MFD, shows the passenger door is open and vice versa. Weird thing is back doors display fine. No big deal right?

My installer contacted Revo, but since it was a Saturday, they did not want to help much. You know, not like my time is important too...Maybe not a big deal, but this is just the kind of funky stuff I think that would lead to dealers sniffing around when they see it. No?

Anyway, neither my installer nor Revo were much help and ultimately sent me to the dealer after the installer played with Vag Com for an hour, with no luck for recoding the MFD problem. So I stopped in briefly, and my dealer's master mechanic had never seen such a thing, yes I reverted back to stock, installer was nice enough to let me borrow his device, the mechanic said I would have to schedule a formal diagnoistic. Great so much for my warranty, I guess. :(

Gotta love the Revo site, no contact # there for me to call. So I am here.
They sure advertise a lot on this site to not have direct dial phone number. Maybe the Revo software is no longer current, for MKV's? I have read others thinking this...

Whats going on here? Anyone else run into funky stuff like this? I mean I can live with the door display being reversed when the doors are open, but it leads me to think other stuff accidentally got messed, or the remapped ECU will be seen when I go in for my 15k. Love the performance of the flash its good, but this is not at all what I expected, not at all...and so far not worth the extra time and head aches this beginning to cause.

Thoughts anyone?

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
I'm pretty sure that a REVO flash should have no effect on the electronics controlling your MFD. REVO is also a european based company so that would be one expensive ass phone call, BUT if you were to look on REVOs website you would notice that their USA regional offices are in georgia and their phone number is also listed.

http://www.revotechnik.com/contact/index.aspx

Best of luck figuring this all out though.

SM08GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm pretty sure that a REVO flash should have no effect on the electronics controlling your MFD. REVO is also a european based company so that would be one expensive ass phone call, BUT if you were to look on REVOs website you would notice that their USA regional offices are in georgia and their phone number is also listed.

http://www.revotechnik.com/contact/index.aspx

Best of luck figuring this all out though.

Yeah man, thanks for the link to the contact info, DUH - I had clicked on the button to become a dealer, not something I am interested in at all. :)

Thanks for the good luck wishes - I hope it can be resolved and no one else has to waste their time like I am beginning to.

As to the REVO flash, yes it was the culprit, as confirmed and why the installer called REVO himself. My car was stock, no vag work nada, virgin.

Thanks again man, I will be calling these REVO guys in the morning. To get a better answer, than take it to the dealer...The installer could do nothing as the flash was what caused it.

This is not acceptable at all. My wife told me there would be problems, she's usually right. :)

Last edited:

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
wait about 2 hours with the car off, go open the passenger door, do you hear the fuel pump priming? open the drivers door, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

if the real passenger side door primes the fuel pump, then you might have your whole car coded to uk.

this is a good point, but does the MFD not know left/right?

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
It's god telling you that you should have bought a 2 door.

Chris@RT

Banned
To clarify a few things.

First off the Revo flash is no way possibly responsible for this. It is actually impossible for the flash to do what you describe.

Saturday I actually answered my personal cell phone on the way to meet my GF for dinner and helped the best I possibly could while driving down the road (speaker phone) and not having the car in front of me. At that time I clearly stated that Revo had nothing to do with this, I certainly did not confirm that Revo caused this because it could not have. Your dealer is one of only a few who have my personal cell phone which I will answer at any hour of the day for those that have it, I'm not sure how going above and beyond is something to get mad at us about.

I then also spent 20 minutes on the phone the other day during normal work hours with him trying to assist him in straightening out your car, again an issue that had nothing to do with the flash. I gave him all of the info I had to check into a possibly coding issue in a module unrelated to the engine and he could not find anything. There are hundreds of possible changes that could be made and there is no way for anyone to remotely figure that out. My suggestion was to take it to the dealer.

Why did I suggest taking it to the dealer? Well because I have actually seen this before, not in one of the thousands of cars we have flashed since it has never occurred before on a flashed car but on a stock A3 when I was working at a dealership. I actually noticed it when I got in the car and was checking the in mileage. I asked the service writer why this wasn't on there as a complaint and they called the customer. The customer never noticed it. At this point all i had done since the car was dropped off was open the door and sit down, so clearly it didn't just happen since coming in for other work.

I had my laptop on me so i first went in and checked all the long coding on any related modules. I could not find anything out of the ordinary. The 5052 coding changes are very limited but actually good in that sense because it asks you questions eliminates 90% of the options that don't apply and just sets the coding for you. So I went in and I wish i could remember if it was the cluster or the convenience module or what but did the guided functions procedure of recoding whatever module was the problem. Exited out and it was fixed.

The only guess I had at the time and guess I have now is that the car was for some reason coded for RH drive. The car does not necessarily see left and right it sees which drivers door has all the master controls (I forget what that module part number is). Something in the coding tells the car then that this car is left hand or right hand drive. From there when it sees that the door with that module is open all it is telling the car is that the "driver" door is open. the cluster and other modules then take that however they need it and like in this case the cluster needs it for the display. The display will if coded for the wrong drive side in whatever module show the wrong door then. This is why your rear doors show correctly, which was the same as the A3 I saw.

So as I said the dealer is your best bet to sort this because they are the best equipped to easily do so. The Revo flash had nothing to possibly do with this but we are more then willing to continue to go above and beyond to help resolve this issue.

The link to our contact info was already listed and has always been on our site. This office is actually a sales and support only office for our dealers and customers in North and South America. We do no retail sales out of this location and are in 9-5 eastern for the sole purpose of answering questions and directing customers to dealers. After hours all of our dealers have at least one of our cell phone numbers. We do the work our dealers make the sale is how we look at it. Just so you have it again the number is (770) 271 4726 and our main US contact email is ussales@revotechnik.com. If the person answering that email cannot help they forward it on to whoever can.

Chris@RT

Banned
interesting... i love my revo! although you guys still owe me a sticker!!! hope you get your issues sorted out op

New batch of stickers finally showed up yesterday and will probably start getting sent out next week sometime. If you have not sent an email with your address to ussales@revtechnik.com requesting them please do so to get on the list.

LeesburgMKV

gold n' black
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
To clarify a few things.

First off the Revo flash is no way possibly responsible for this. It is actually impossible for the flash to do what you describe.

Saturday I actually answered my personal cell phone on the way to meet my GF for dinner and helped the best I possibly could while driving down the road (speaker phone) and not having the car in front of me. At that time I clearly stated that Revo had nothing to do with this, I certainly did not confirm that Revo caused this because it could not have. Your dealer is one of only a few who have my personal cell phone which I will answer at any hour of the day for those that have it, I'm not sure how going above and beyond is something to get mad at us about.

I then also spent 20 minutes on the phone the other day during normal work hours with him trying to assist him in straightening out your car, again an issue that had nothing to do with the flash. I gave him all of the info I had to check into a possibly coding issue in a module unrelated to the engine and he could not find anything. There are hundreds of possible changes that could be made and there is no way for anyone to remotely figure that out. My suggestion was to take it to the dealer.

Why did I suggest taking it to the dealer? Well because I have actually seen this before, not in one of the thousands of cars we have flashed since it has never occurred before on a flashed car but on a stock A3 when I was working at a dealership. I actually noticed it when I got in the car and was checking the in mileage. I asked the service writer why this wasn't on there as a complaint and they called the customer. The customer never noticed it. At this point all i had done since the car was dropped off was open the door and sit down, so clearly it didn't just happen since coming in for other work.

I had my laptop on me so i first went in and checked all the long coding on any related modules. I could not find anything out of the ordinary. The 5052 coding changes are very limited but actually good in that sense because it asks you questions eliminates 90% of the options that don't apply and just sets the coding for you. So I went in and I wish i could remember if it was the cluster or the convenience module or what but did the guided functions procedure of recoding whatever module was the problem. Exited out and it was fixed.

The only guess I had at the time and guess I have now is that the car was for some reason coded for RH drive. The car does not necessarily see left and right it sees which drivers door has all the master controls (I forget what that module part number is). Something in the coding tells the car then that this car is left hand or right hand drive. From there when it sees that the door with that module is open all it is telling the car is that the "driver" door is open. the cluster and other modules then take that however they need it and like in this case the cluster needs it for the display. The display will if coded for the wrong drive side in whatever module show the wrong door then. This is why your rear doors show correctly, which was the same as the A3 I saw.

So as I said the dealer is your best bet to sort this because they are the best equipped to easily do so. The Revo flash had nothing to possibly do with this but we are more then willing to continue to go above and beyond to help resolve this issue.

The link to our contact info was already listed and has always been on our site. This office is actually a sales and support only office for our dealers and customers in North and South America. We do no retail sales out of this location and are in 9-5 eastern for the sole purpose of answering questions and directing customers to dealers. After hours all of our dealers have at least one of our cell phone numbers. We do the work our dealers make the sale is how we look at it. Just so you have it again the number is (770) 271 4726 and our main US contact email is ussales@revotechnik.com. If the person answering that email cannot help they forward it on to whoever can.

Damn man, Chris just went waaaay above and beyond for you. You should be grateful and ask the mods to change the thread name to "Why is my MFD messed up?" rather than "revo fucked my shit up" because it def. didn't.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Strange electrical gremlins are par for the course with a VW aren't they? :)

two weeks after I bought my car, randomly one day the cruise control stopped working. It just wouldn't turn on.
The next day it started working again. There is no explanation.