GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: MK5 GTI with HPA SHS, Whiteline ALK and H&R 22mm rear bar

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
So I've finally done it. :happyanim:
It's been sitting in the garage for almost a year...
I sourced my HPA from WJ after he swapped out for a MK6.
I was after suspension which would improve handling while not overly affecting ride comfort (i.e. close to stock feel) and allowing close to OEM ride height. Bearing in mind I am coming from 60K old stock suspension (albeit with rear bar already in) and the wife will be driving the car more than me (and with somewhat less care than me over bumps) here's my review. The H&R 22mm (small) rear bar is on soft.

Thanks to Derek at European Autotech for the install.
One minor oversight was the HID (xenon) leveler which was still disconnected at the front and going the wrong way at the back. Nothing the VAGCOM couldn't let me know and a jack up couldn't fix. For anyone with the same issue ("Why is my xenon now pointing at the floor?") the levelers are on the left side of the car. Turn the fronts to the right for better access. Get in from the back to do the rear. Rear points to the left.
Also had the Forge catch can and cam follower done as well plus the DSG filter which VW didn't change when doing the mechatronic.

So felt almost like stock driving it out. It's comfortable enough that I don't think my wife or parents would notice the difference (at least when in the front).
Lift/dive is greatly reduced, i'd say at least 50%. Not eliminated when pushing throttle and brake at higher speed but for sedate day-day speeds it is almost non-existent.
Improvements in rear damping can be felt easily from the driver's seat. The bounciness that is present with stock just isn't there. It's like having your hand suspended between 2 walls with rubber bands - OEM is softer band, HPA is a stiffer one and takes less time to return you to the equilibrium position.
Road intrusions like lane markers, bridge expansion gaps and ruts have a similar feel to stock. Perhaps you "feel" them a bit more, probably not so much from the spring stiffness but from improved damping. Certainly not harsh but a muted thud similar to stock.

You do feel undulations in the road more as the car is now tracking the road better. Unlike OEM which smooths out the ride at the expense of contact/control, the HPA maintains control which means you note more vertical movement. This may not be so noticeable to someone who is not "looking" for it.

Body roll has improved, probably not quite as much as the change with the rear bar. Maybe 25-50%.

Overall cornering grip has improved. I noted less lift-off oversteer in the wet around local roundabouts where it could easily be induced without much effort (when you know how). A local off-camber turn which would cause wheelsping when powering out of the corner now has no wheelspin in the dry.
The transition from neutral to lift-off oversteer almost seems less abrupt and the "severity" of the oversteer is lessened. This is probably due to the suspension and WALK reducing dynamic weight changes front-rear. Uphill twisties with power on also wheelspin less resulting in less understeer.

No scrapes yet with very mild lowering. You'd probably be really hard pressed to tell anything.
Stock hub centre to fender is 360mm front, 365mm rear.
HPA at max height is 365 front (yes 5mm higher than stock!) and 360 rear.
After initially having it at max height, then finding the difference between OEM and HPA hub centre to fender distances, I have dropped the front 15mm so compared to stock it is now 10mm down front, 5mm down rear. Not huge as i often carry pretty heavy stuff in the boot and still want front clearance. Note that with this drop the car is still compliant with all road rules including 100mm underbody clearance (I had 18mm extra when stock from the lowest DSG point near the front left tyre - Masterfoods large jar of black peppercorns is EXACTLY 10cm!). Note the springs haven't fully settled yet so it may droop up to another 5mm.
Have yet to hit the local Westfields to test their "rut" type speed bumps and underbody clearance (i scraped going over a funny shape hump before with passengers on board)

NVH:
There is an increase when going over ruts, joints, etc. It is not a big increase but noticeable when you listen for it. Certainly not dissimilar from stock and not enough to bother you on long haul (the tyre roar from the 94Y F1's is worse).

EDIT: I previously had a comment regarding suspicion of noise from the WALK. There is NO NOISE FROM WALK. The squeak/groan is coming from the front right shock/damper. Will update more soon.

There is no noise from the suspension (no spring slap, tug & release, etc) at all save the hiss of damper which is similar to stock in volume but shorter in duration.
No change to vibration/steering wheel feel - the TAI did more (and those of you with one know it's not that much difference)
Harshness depends on whether you are looking for crash/bang (which is so far nil) or un/down amplitude (see prev comments).

Did a quick vid to check wheel clearance whilst driving unspiritedly.
Worst bit is going over the "tabletop" type speed humps as the car weight moves forward when you go off the end.
The 2 pics show the highest movement of the tyre which occurs when full weight of the car is on the fronts. The first is straight over, the 2nd at slower speed but with slight turn. I think it is not likely to rub even on the RNP Garie Beach hairpin, but will have to wait for that one.
Going over normal suburban speed humps at 40kph is no problem and does not induce banging at all. In fact I think the car handles speed humps MUCH better now than with OEM as the end "bounce" was noticeable with stock.

Tabletop hump.jpg
Tabletop 2.jpg
Note pics are screen caps of interlaced footage so aren't the greatest.

Will make a note again after some more testing and the GTG on the 20th.
Hope this helps anyone making a decision on "entry-level" suspension.
This wouldn't be decent for track as it just isn't stiff enough, but it sure is great for a DD.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Confirmed with Derek this morning that the source of the noise is the front right shock/damper. Will update when more happens...
Thanks for the checkup Derek!

Edited 1st post to reflect noise comment.

Last edited:

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Oh, also noted that coming to a stop now seems more "abrupt" as the suspension is no longer soft to allow the lurch forward and back to be smoothed out. Not a biggie to me but might be an issue with travel-sickness prone passengers.

This would affect all aftermarket suspensions.

M4RK0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI - MK6
Great write up Funny,

Did you tried with ESP off?
Can the noice be fix?

Is the bouncing on undulations in the road like those pimp cars? :)

How about the hard cornering?, can you feel the claws holding up?

I guess a nice test will be the drive this 20th November :)

Where's the vid?

Cheers!

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Eugene,

EDIT: I previously had a comment regarding suspicion of noise from the WALK. There is NO NOISE FROM WALK. The squeak/groan is coming from the front right shock/damper. Will update more soon.

Some one on this forum (guy with orange GTI pic under his sig I think - from Sydney) had some noise coming from the front (one side only) with the HPA KW SHS coilover kit. Turned out to be that the disc brake plastic cover was slightly dislodged on installation and was impacting with the coilover. Some slight adjustment was all that was required. Is the front coilover leaking oil? Any signs of physical damage? Does it drive/ride/handle well?

Cheers
WJ

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Great write up Funny,

Did you tried with ESP off?
Can the noice be fix?

Is the bouncing on undulations in the road like those pimp cars? :)

How about the hard cornering?, can you feel the claws holding up?

I guess a nice test will be the drive this 20th November :)

Where's the vid?

Cheers!

Will get the boring vid up tonight. Will cut it short so there's a short bit showing the first pic with the setup at full compression on the fronts.
No need for ESP off, wheelspin previously present with ESP on is now reduced. Even pulling out of lane at full lock is improved.
However, the setup is NOT stiff enough to eliminate wheelspin altogether. You would need something more highly spring/damped (pretty much everything other than KW V1s and this) to get that.

Cornering has improved - reduced (but as mentioned not eliminated) wheelspin is testament to that.

Just remember my aim was to improve the car with minimal sacrifice to stock comfort/NVH. With the exception of the noisy shock, i have achieved that. My glovebox squeak annoys me more!!

Will wait to see what happens with the shock - going to check what happens if i need to swap it out. We'll see.

Out at the shops (no time to get pics), noticed the shallow steep sided bumps are just the same on this as on stock - BAD (they are the ones that are usually either all black or striped yellow/black and look to be about 2-4 inches tall). No difference to stock. I'd hate to be going over those with anything stiffer...

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Short clip of speed hump clearance

Ahh! Got it working at last...

Last edited:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Eugene,

Sleeky has the issues with the squeaking and groaning on the HPA KW SHS shortly after installation. Here's the thread:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93547&highlight=hpa+install&page=5

getting a constant faint squeaking sound from the front right tyre.. sounds like rock or misalignment of brake pads but does not increase or decrease when braking..just randomly gets louder then quieter...when i turned right into my mates driveway..he rekns he heard it from inside ...like a truck pulling up.. then went quiet again.

got home and tried to check if a rock or something is caught in the brakes..can't c anything.

pushed down on the front end of the car to make right side compress..n there it was...that annoying squeak sound..

perhaps needs some WD40 on the bushings? i wouldn't have a clue so i'm asking here :)

will also call the installers tomorrow and see what they say.

and

yeh the springs are already sleeved. however it definitely isn't spring slapping.. the squeak occurs even by rocking the car slightly..only on the front right wheel.

edit: squeak sound gone - a shield was just slightly touching the rotor or something.

Cheers

WJ

Rev 555

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY08 GTI, Ducati 696
Hmm seems to be a common theme with the HPA SHS. I have had a noise coming from the front particularly when the car is cold for several months now. Its like a soft clunk/rubbing but no squeek as though something is loose. I thought it could have been my sway bars but i finally got to the bottom of it today when I was at my mechanics. He mentioned he replaced two cars front coilovers under warranty from KW. He wasnt sure if it was the SHS from HPA.

To demonstatre he had a couple of mechanics push down on the front end whilst I had my hand on top of the top strut bolt and I can feel the clunk on the top strut bolt each time pressure is applied. Only the drivers right hand side...

It does not effect how the car drives or performs. More annoying than anything but I seem to be noticing it more now. I have had my coils for just under a year.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Hmm seems to be a common theme with the HPA SHS. I have had a noise coming from the front particularly when the car is cold for several months now. Its like a soft clunk/rubbing but no squeek as though something is loose. I thought it could have been my sway bars but i finally got to the bottom of it today when I was at my mechanics. He mentioned he replaced two cars front coilovers under warranty from KW. He wasnt sure if it was the SHS from HPA.

To demonstatre he had a couple of mechanics push down on the front end whilst I had my hand on top of the top strut bolt and I can feel the clunk on the top strut bolt each time pressure is applied. Only the drivers right hand side...
It does not effect how the car drives or performs. More annoying than anything but I seem to be noticing it more now. I have had my coils for just under a year.

Did the same with Derek today. In fact it was almost called a mystery until the end where he pushed on the front - hey presto, noise replicated. Audible even outside the car with bonnet up. Did the whole put finger on the top "spindle" and sure enough vibration coinciding with noise.

Eugene,

Sleeky has the issues with the squeaking and groaning on the HPA KW SHS shortly after installation. Here's the thread:

getting a constant faint squeaking sound from the front right tyre.. sounds like rock or misalignment of brake pads but does not increase or decrease when braking..just randomly gets louder then quieter...when i turned right into my mates driveway..he rekns he heard it from inside ...like a truck pulling up.. then went quiet again.

got home and tried to check if a rock or something is caught in the brakes..can't c anything.

pushed down on the front end of the car to make right side compress..n there it was...that annoying squeak sound..

Mine wasn't constant but definitely frequently intermittent. Seems to almost disappear once you are doing 60+ but i don't know if that's just more noise drowning out the groan or if it is really gone.

Seems to be the shock though if pushing on it is enough.
I had a look through the wheel, doesn't seem like the suspension comes close to the brake componentry at all.

Guess it is time to pull out the bullet cam and go for a drive...
Will see if i can record the noise.

melbv

time to modify
Car(s)
speed
i have the soft clunk/rubbing noise whenever i do a slow turning
especially when i do parking, i can hear it clearly.
Applied WD40 on the bushings but doesnt really help.

The mechanic describe it as the brushing at the lower end of the springs which are too close and cause some very tight contact but it doesnt have any damage or cause any danger.

I just let it accepted his reason.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Will post up a vid of me pushing on the bonnet tonight. It shows that i didn't need to get much travel for the noise to occur. Wheels are straight and there is NO contact of suspension components with anything else (except what it is bolted to of course) when the movement is this small.

Mine is definitely the shock. Wierd thing is it is not constant as you would expect but intermittent, however often enough to be noticeable. No idea why passenger side is ok.

Too hard to get audio of it on the road as you need to turn up the gain to get the sound captured above the ambient noise as the frequencies for the groan are low.

Was going to try and get some inside wheel well vid but too hard to check in the night. Don't think i will need it anyway as the noise occurs regardless if straight or turned and occurs on almost flat road as well.

funny

Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
i have the soft clunk/rubbing noise whenever i do a slow turning
especially when i do parking, i can hear it clearly.
Applied WD40 on the bushings but doesnt really help.

The mechanic describe it as the brushing at the lower end of the springs which are too close and cause some very tight contact but it doesnt have any damage or cause any danger.

I just let it accepted his reason.

How low did you drop the front?
I only did 10mm.
I can see the entire lower portion of the spring AND spring seat ABOVE the tyre when car is on a flat surface. So in my case it cannot be the spring hitting the components behind the tyre/wheel as they are above to start with and there is insufficient compression (by hand) to move them even below the inner edge of the tyre, let alone low enough to hit componentry.

My noise does not get louder in any situation, always seems roughly the same volume.

I think the mechanics think you have spring slap, but our springs are sleeved to help reduce noise (not that i have even heard that on mine).
I don't hear mine when turning the wheel all the time, it is not consistent in that sense other than it happens often enough to know it is there. I can turn the wheel lock to lock with car stationary and get no noise.