GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator Delete Facts & FAQ

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Just wanted to ask a question here about my delete. I noticed the other day while I had my car up on ramps that there was a small exhaust leak at the resonator delete. It almost looks like the welder missed about a 1/4" on top of the pipe.

Now the resonator delete drones like crazy, but now I am think that it is the fault of the leak and not the delete. Any comments on this?

Also, does anybody know of any quick fixes here besides bring it back to get welded? My friend who did it (who has apologized for the mistake) is an hour away, so I am just looking for something temporary.

RedLine GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I would say go stop at a muffler shop and ask them to fix the weld. Couldn't imagine it being more than 20 bucks and cheaper and easier than driving a hour

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just wanted to ask a question here about my delete. I noticed the other day while I had my car up on ramps that there was a small exhaust leak at the resonator delete. It almost looks like the welder missed about a 1/4" on top of the pipe.

Now the resonator delete drones like crazy, but now I am think that it is the fault of the leak and not the delete. Any comments on this?

Also, does anybody know of any quick fixes here besides bring it back to get welded? My friend who did it (who has apologized for the mistake) is an hour away, so I am just looking for something temporary.

Drone with the res. delete is (unfortunately) normal....since that's what the resonator is there for, to delete/cancel the sound frequencies that cause "drone"

You would've had better results deleting the rear muffler instead, but since the res. delete is the easier/cheaper option....that's what everybody does

As for missing some of the weld....yeah, it's a tough spot to weld there on top. BUT he could've dropped the whole cat-back (really simple) to weld it properly

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Drone with the res. delete is (unfortunately) normal....since that's what the resonator is there for, to delete/cancel the sound frequencies that cause "drone"

You would've had better results deleting the rear muffler instead, but since the res. delete is the easier/cheaper option....that's what everybody does

As for missing some of the weld....yeah, it's a tough spot to weld there on top. BUT he could've dropped the whole cat-back (really simple) to weld it properly

Thanks for the information. Would a leak cause the drone to be louder by any chance?

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
Nope

It might cause a LITTLE hissing noise that you'd might notice (most likely not)....but definitely wouldn't affect the drone

Like I said, it's because you deleted the resonator you have the drone

Thanks for the information. I am trying to find somebody selling a stock catback because the stock resonator was all beat up by the previous owner.
Any recommendations other than just going back to the stock catback? Any aftermarket/performance resonators that will be slightly louder than stock but without so much drone?

It is a little too much for me. I'd rather hear engine/intake noise then crazy loud exhaust :thumbdown:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Post up a WTB ad for a stock catback on here or Vortex....should be easy to find one.

Don't know if you're tuned or modded yet, but just pair up a aftermarket downpipe with the stock cat-back. You'll get SOME exhaust noise (nothing crazy loud/no drone), but with a lot more power

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I've been planning on doing this to my 2009 2.0T jetta Wolfsburg but I went to a local muffler shop and what I thought was the resonator the guy said was the cat....

Does anyone know if the part circled in red is the resonator on a 2009 2.0T Jetta Wolfie? Or is the mid muffler the resonator?
Thanks for any help!!!!

well, the resonator you circled in red isnt even on my GLI, i think thats a pic of the 2.5 exhaust. but yer muff shop guy is full of sh**, that is not the cat.

fd2black

Karma Police
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2dr
^^^
Post up a WTB ad for a stock catback on here or Vortex....should be easy to find one.

Don't know if you're tuned or modded yet, but just pair up a aftermarket downpipe with the stock cat-back. You'll get SOME exhaust noise (nothing crazy loud/no drone), but with a lot more power

Thanks. I posted one on my local section on Vortex. I guess I should give here a try too. I am tuned, so I definitely should have just gone with a downpipe in the first place and avoided this situation I've put myself into.

Edit:
Found some information while searching here and golfmk6, a couple members have put on a Vibrant resonator in place of the OE one, and it does not drone, but it is not as quiet as stock. For $50 plus welding, seems like a pretty good option for me.

Here's the link:
Vibrant Resonator

Last edited:

mash360

Passed Driver's Ed
Just went to my local exhaust ship and got quoted $100 for a resonator delete! I read that it shouldn't in the 40-70 range and there are no other close shops
Anyone have advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Just went to my local exhaust ship and got quoted $100 for a resonator delete! I read that it shouldn't in the 40-70 range and there are no other close shops
Anyone have advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shop around and see what you can find. It appears the hourly rate as increased. For what it's worth I paid $120 at my local shop, was the cheapest I could find. Prices people report will be all over the place.......some guys have buddies, some guys have friends of friends, some shops owe favors etc.

tiborious

Hi guys, I've got a 1.6 fsi (before anyone says it is a 1.6 then the answer to that is I would love a GTI but insurance is sky high for 17 year old.) I have got a resonator delete on my golf but not the one after the cat but the one just before the suitcase muffler. It sounds OK but I want some gurgling when decelerating! What would you guys reccomend? I was thinking taking the silencer out so I only have a cat and muffler but wondering if this would do it? Help will be appreciated. For some reason it won't let me make a new thread.