GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator Delete Facts & FAQ

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE

Maximum6

FASTER
no joke. from the inside of the car it sounds a little different.

But from the outside, it really just does sound the same.

APR is the only one that seems to sound very different.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Just got the resonator delete done to my GLI (3" DP no cat), mild loud on the outside (idle), low RPM has a nice deep sound, gurgly when you step on it and lift the throttle, WOT from the inside is no different, probably because i have solid mounts and the engine noise is already filling up the cabin, im thinking if i should go straight pipe and removing the suitcase muffler, is it TOO loud? because this resonator delete, i can barely hear it and i was expecting killer DSG farting all over the place xD

how about the acceleration?
no different?

Its a resonator delete, not a downpipe, as long as you keep the same piping diameter and the suitcase muffler still on its only for sound.

Last edited:

Corey U.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW for life
Yeah basically what Fernas said just a cheaper way to get a better sound out of a stock exhaust, and i was thinking about a suitcase delete as well but some of the videos I have seen of a complete straightpipe sound a little too loud. I have a catless downpipe on now too btw

Maximum6

FASTER
when you downshift with only Catless downpipe, it doesn't match the sound of when you're accelerating. It is extremely dead quiet when you downshift.

Once you do a resonator delete or a Catback setup, the downshift noise will be up to par.

wuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got the resonator delete done to my GLI (3" DP no cat), mild loud on the outside (idle), low RPM has a nice deep sound, gurgly when you step on it and lift the throttle, WOT from the inside is no different, probably because i have solid mounts and the engine noise is already filling up the cabin, im thinking if i should go straight pipe and removing the suitcase muffler, is it TOO loud? because this resonator delete, i can barely hear it and i was expecting killer DSG farting all over the place xD

Its a resonator delete, not a downpipe, as long as you keep the same piping diameter and the suitcase muffler still on its only for sound.

Ohh okay then..
i tought there is a different in acceleration..
maybe anybody have try milltek turbo back r32 style?

JanK

WilltherealFLATTIREplease
Car(s)
09' MkV GTI
Ohh okay then..
i tought there is a different in acceleration..
maybe anybody have try milltek turbo back r32 style?

Yes.

At stage 2 outside:

At stage 3 (K04) inside:

All parts needed:

Underbody shot:

Rear shot (without reflectors):

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I got a resonator delete last week, so far I dig the sound but I have taken a HUGE dip in gas mileage and i'm 80% sure it is isolated from driving it harder. We took a road trip right after I had it done and I think I averaged around 23 mpg on the highway instead of my usual 28. Has anyone else seen this happen? With my boost gauge I have noticed it wants to go into boost a lot easier, and it does seem that I am getting slightly more performance. Also while cruising around 40 mph I am at a lower vacuum. (5hg instead of 10ish)

This is with P-flo, 3 in DP, res delete on stock catback, APR stage 2, rev D, and BSH pcv fix, 40k miles.

usetheBFH

Passed Driver's Ed
I took some readings at idle with and without the stock resonator.

2007 MKV GTI FSI
Stock Exhaust (Other than the straight resonator piece)
Closed garage approx. 68*F
Altitude ~900 (South of Pittsburgh PA)

Standing right in the front of the car, about 2' from the bumper.

With Stock Resonator:

Without Stock Resonator:

1" directly behind the exit of the tailpipe, at the same height as the tailpipe:

With Stock Resonator:

Without Stock Resonator:

Conclusion is at idle (and when your not getting into the pedal) it's very close to stock dB it's just a different frequency (pretty much because the resonator was doing what it was designed to do - change the frequency of the exhaust note.

I like it. I'm gonna keep it this way. (At least until i can get a full exhaust.)

RedLine GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sound will be different under load though...agreed that it's close to stock at idle and won't really notice till you get on it...but when you step on its a lot louder and hard to take sound measures with it

08EmKayFive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti
Just got it done yesterday for 40 bucks, sounds good IMO I'm pretty hapoy with the outcome. Videos on YouTube don't even come close to how it sounds