GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resonator Delete Facts & FAQ

xeclipse631x

The old soul
Car(s)
Lawnmower
For those of us such as me who don't have hundreds of dollars to drop on a fancy exhaust, there is the resonator delete modification. There are benefits as well as downsides to this mod, so I'm hoping to consolidate it all into one place. There are other threads with discussions about this modification, and I was hoping to gather everything into one thread. :thumbsup:

1) How much does it cost?
- I've seen some people charged anywhere from $30 to about $80. It depends on the shop. Ask around at your local shops and go to the one that gives you the best price. Keep in mind, you want a quality weld, so reputation should play a part in your choice. This doesn't mean go to the local Meineke or Midas because its a nationwide chain - some are pretty disreputable despite being so well known. Your local private shop might do a better job - it all depends on the quality of their work.

2) Is this the same as a "suitcase" delete?
- No. The exhaust runs from your engine, to a catalytic converter, curves to your RESONATOR, which filters out sound at specific RPM's that the muffler does not. Your pipe then runs from the resonator to the "suitcase" muffler, and out to your tips. Some people say that the suitcase delete is preferable to a resonator delete.

3) Is the resonator delete better than the suitcase delete?
- It depends on your preference. The resonator delete creates a very "gurgly" sound in your exhaust, especially when you come off the gas after accelerating. Some people like this, others despise it and say it sounds like a rice rocket. I do know from experience that when shifting on a DSG transmission, a resonator delete can create a "fart" sound midshift, while a normal 6 speed doesn't normally do that. Some also say that the suitcase delete creates less drone than a resonator delete.

4) Will the resonator delete affect my mileage?
- Nope. At least it hasn't for me, and I spent about 50 miles highway driving every day to get to school before I left for college. I haven't noticed a difference in my mileage.

5) Does it remove weight from the car?
- The resonator weighs about 8 pounds, so yes. It doesn't seem like much, but when you're trying to squeeze as much power out of your car as possible, it will help in the long run. (Although if you're that desperate for power a downpipe would be the better idea. :wink:)

6) Does a resonator delete increase horsepower?
- No. Childish myth. I've heard all sorts of things about "freeing up the engine" and "backpressure" etc. The resonator delete won't increase power. Once again, if power is what you're looking for, save up for a downpipe.

7) Does it drone?
- This seems to be a controversial question; 1. People seem to have different definitions of "drone" 2. It also depends on how you drive (where you shift in the power band, how hard you press the gas, what RPM you like to cruise at, etc). I drive an 09' TSI, and mine only drones when I'm cruising at about 3500 RPMS (circa 76-80 mph in sixth gear). For me it is loudest when I the pedal is on the floor, or when the engine is running cold. In slow moving traffic I shift at about 2000 rpms to save gas (some people like to roll at around 3000 RPMs for a bit before shifting. Its all dependent on the driver), and I don't really notice the sound. The more you drive with the resonator delete, the more you will learn how to control the sound. Basically, driving gently and economically does not cause a noticeable drone/difference in sound. (who drives like that anyway.)

8) What do I do if I don't like the sound?
- The resonator can easily be put back in. Same shop, same tools, same amount of time.

9) Will it void my warranty?
- I'm not a VW rep so I'm not completely positive, but from experience as well as the experience of many others, it will not affect your warranty. I've had numerous issues with my GTI fixed under warranty since I got my res delete and they never mentioned it.

VIDEOS
- These are some videos that in my opinion give the best depiction of what a resonator delete sounds like. They are not mine.
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0D4c9REm18 <-- best sound quality
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcHwcEhrbY <-- fly-by sound
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRdHtyIYho <-- revving

Any questions, post or PM me. Any negativity, say it once and leave. Don't troll and don't threadjack.

Last edited:

MKV Turbo15

23psi and fast as fuck!
Car(s)
Jetta
As stated, great post. On certain models such as rabbits, and jettas/glis ( a few of them on here including myself) the resonator is indeed a suitcase muffler. I know the GTIs have a small res but the others don't and those suckers are huge. So yes it is a res delete or a mid muffler delete for some. I have it done and couldn't be happier. Then again I love it mated to my ATP dp ;)

yiannisgti

Passed Driver's Ed
i first did a suitcase delete before my resonator delete and personaly i would say the resonator delete is a better idea. . the suitcase delete didnt appeal to me because i felt i was loosing gas. . and i dont know!!! resonator delete FTW!!!!

SlowNLow

MOAR LOW
got my 42dd resonator delete pipe put on thursday and i love it
and it really doesnt drone at all and sounds amazing when you step on it :)

tsigli

Ready to race!
did a custom res delete on my gli, can barely hear it...doesn't sound anything like the videos...the only times i hear it is in the low rps where it does sound really good not like any other 4cyl...getting a downpipe wednsday i'll add a video

xeclipse631x

The old soul
Car(s)
Lawnmower
did a custom res delete on my gli, can barely hear it...doesn't sound anything like the videos...the only times i hear it is in the low rps where it does sound really good not like any other 4cyl...getting a downpipe wednsday i'll add a video

I don't have experience with a GLI but I'm sorry to hear that man :frown:

Let us know how the downpipe works out

how would it sound if you took both off (resonator and suitcase muffler <-- terms of mkv gti). I have a 3" dp with a resonator delete but I still have the stock muffler. Im debating whether to remove it or not, because I have heard mixed thoughts about both being removed.

xeclipse631x

The old soul
Car(s)
Lawnmower
how would it sound if you took both off (resonator and suitcase muffler <-- terms of mkv gti). I have a 3" dp with a resonator delete but I still have the stock muffler. Im debating whether to remove it or not, because I have heard mixed thoughts about both being removed.

My friend did both a resonator and suitcase delete but doesn't have a downpipe, and its ridiculously loud. Like borderline rice.

My friend did both a resonator and suitcase delete but doesn't have a downpipe, and its ridiculously loud. Like borderline rice.

Yea i have heard that before, thats why I'm probably gonna leave the stock muffler on. Unless i can find a Corsa Muffler..maybe...

yiannisgti

Passed Driver's Ed
i had resonator and suitcase delete both at the same time time... i thought it sounded amazing at first and it does!! but its really louddd!! and the noise in the cabin can get quite tiring if you travel a bit but you will love the sound thats for sure! and yeh ok i agree could be borderline rice i guess but its still cool