GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

henkzilla

Ready to race!
Just handled this and it was super easy. If you can change a light bulb you shouldn't pay a dealer to do this. I thought I'd toss in a couple words of advice for anyone trying to do this and having a snag with the clips. The first two, use a flat head screw driver to press the button all the way down. The fuel lines will come off really easy once the button is pressed, so if you're struggling to pull the line off, the button isn't pressed all the way down. It's really difficult to press the button with your finger, especially if you're wearing gloves, that's why I'd recommend the flathead. After I took the first two off, I took the filter out of the bracket to get better access to the last one. It really didn't put any stress on the line, and the line is really flexible. This was way easier than trying to press the button on that clip with it up against the car.
Also, anyone stressing about fuel pressure... I did nothing to relieve the pressure. I backed my car onto ramps and then went for it. Only dripped out, no spray. Don't bother letting it sit overnight or anything like that... it will be fine.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
My first time changing this filter and this is my experience....my right arm is a fire hazard! I must have dumped about .5 -1 cup of gasoline all over my arm and floor. Besides that I was done in less than 30 minutes. It is a really easy job except for the clip in the front, but finger pushing the clip in and a screw driver to gently push out worked like a charm.

Great DIY :thumbsup:

matteo716

Muddy GTI guy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
couldnt get it done myself had to get it done at a local shop. the buttons were so caked/filled with dirt and grit they had to use compressed air to blow all the crud off first.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Lots of great tips in this thread. Thanks for all your input, guise. I have a new filter waiting to be installed and I'll keep all of this in mind.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Lots of great tips in this thread. Thanks for all your input, guise. I have a new filter waiting to be installed and I'll keep all of this in mind.

*guys :thumbsup: lol

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Will be doing this soon to help sort out a P2293 error code. Just installed a new pump for stage 2+ and i get this code every 300-500 miles, thinking maybe the filter is holding back the fuel a little too much, about 50k miles on the current filter.

Following this thread and at 171K in 07 gti Fahrenheit, the vw emblem is on the fuel filter which leads me to believe maybe it was changed once.. the connectors have bonded around the lips on the main (middle) send and there is also some sort of breather line (?) so now my issue is that I HAVE monked up the connector and was wondering if anyone knew the part number for the entire line w/ connector. You guys are probably cringing but the bailing wire is holding it down REAL well. The guy with the joke about just cutting and splicing the line and zip tying it to the filter is not funny nor recommended as the psi is ferocious.