GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Changing the fuel filter is easy. If the lines are relatively decompressed it should take you 30 min tops for your first time. None of this is rocket-science and the filter is easily accessible.

I only jack up the passenger side rear. Putting the rear on ramps would be fine too.

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Changing the fuel filter is easy. If the lines are relatively decompressed it should take you 30 min tops for your first time. None of this is rocket-science and the filter is easily accessible.

I only jack up the passenger side rear. Putting the rear on ramps would be fine too.

^This. I had driven a few blocks to a buddys nice flat driveway. Let the car sit about 30mins, opened the gas cap, jacked up the passenger side about a foot and was done in 15 minutes tops. As I took the lines off the filter, I took the caps off the new filter to stop fuel leaking out of the old one. Maybe a cup of fuel came out overall. The line with the blue clip came out with some pressure, but not bad.
Car started right up. Definitely not worth paying a mechanic.

Vageline

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07' GTI
Well I changed the fuel filter and the fuel that came out looked clear so I probably didn't need to change it but oh well. I put on a new hpfp too and that became a nightmare. I could not get one of the hose clamps off. I had to just pull up and twist cause the part where you would take pliers to it to collapse it was right next to the pressured line. When I put it all back together... the same stupid clamp gave me problems so I had to take it all back off and do the hose clamp first.

I didn't read a DIY, so maybe that was my first mistake. But it took me about an hour to change the fuel filter and hpfp. I didn't have time for an oil change too though :(

At least I got the hard part done. Oh, and I made sure to spin the hose clamp to where I can get to it without going through that crap again... +1 for planning ahead

Sent from my SGH-I777

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I just replaced my fuel filter the other day and i want to let everybody know to use the 4.0 bar filter on the MKV R32 platform. If not u will have a rough start ups and bad idles too. I was running a 6.4 bar filter for 25K miles and everything got worse when i flash my ECU with E85 tune too BUT once i got the right 4.0 bar filter on every thing got back to normal.

BTW........ E85 Hurts like a "B*^CH" when i hits u in the eye!!!! I had a FULL shot of it in my eye and it was not just a dip either. It was like a running faucet in my eyeball with E85.....Ouch!!!

Dont be like me......Wear Goggles or glasses!!!

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I just replaced my fuel filter the other day and i want to let everybody know to use the 4.0 bar filter on the MKV R32 platform. If not u will have a rough start ups and bad idles too. I was running a 6.4 bar filter for 25K miles and everything got worse when i flash my ECU with E85 tune too BUT once i got the right 4.0 bar filter on every thing got back to normal.

Huh?
The correct filter is 6.6 bar which superseded the original 6.4 bar filters. I would not go near the NA 4.0 bar filters on direct injected 2.0T's If they increased pressure by over 2 bar it had to be for a reason. Idles and starts fine.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Huh?
The correct filter is 6.6 bar which superseded the original 6.4 bar filters. I would not go near the NA 4.0 bar filters on direct injected 2.0T's If they increased pressure by over 2 bar it had to be for a reason. Idles and starts fine.

Good looking out man :thumbsup:

But I drive a MKV R32 :biggrin:

4.0 bar works like a charm for me :wink:

theronin

got my 6.6 bar fuel filter brand new.

car's gas cap is off, signal to hpfp is unclipped, in tank fuel pump fuse is pulled, car is sitting overnight.

hopefully my dogbone insert gets here tomorrow before 6pm so i can do all of this at the same time!!

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I've never bothered disconnecting anything or opening the gas cap. Just letting the car sit overnight has always depressurized the system enough for me. Just remember not to open the driver's door as that triggers the pump.

theronin

so easy! barely any fuel came out! 10 min on the fuel filter and 20 on the dogbone insert. car feels like new. shifts are so much more solid as is acceleration. love it!

CaptainCalf

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
Fuel Filter after 135,000mi

Okay, I think I prolly shouldda changed out my fuel filter before now after seeing the black fuel that can outta the filter:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 10-08-12 Fuel Filter after 135000mi.JPG
    10-08-12 Fuel Filter after 135000mi.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,280