GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

Sailem

Ready to race!
I just want to point out that the key thing to remember is push in on those tabs and pull out the hose. **Do not pull up/out on those tabs.**

The new fuel filter comes with 3 caps and those can be placed on the old fuel filter after removing each hose to reduce fuel spill when you are removing the filter.

*Make sure to order your fuel filter using your VIN.
There are different bar rating fuel filters and you want to make sure you get the correct one for your specific car.

I have never heard anything regarding using a specific filter

piston

Options
I have never heard anything regarding using a specific filter

When I went to the dealer, they said there are two different fuel filters.
There's a 4 bar and 4.6 bar. They are the same size and dimension. They just have a different rating.
They needed my VIN number to be certain.
The bar rating is also noted on the fuel filter itself.
Mine matched up when I replaced it, 4.6 bar on old and new fuel filter.
*Not sure if both are the same 1K0201051C as mine was 1K0201051C but it's the 4.6 bar filter.
On some internet VW online stores, the 1K0201051C will return a 4 bar filter.

I just wanted to pass on the info that it's best to give the dealer your VIN to make sure you get the proper one or remove your old one and look on the end for the bar rating.

skateboy918

Ready to race!
When I went to the dealer, they said there are two different fuel filters.
There's a 4 bar and 4.6 bar. They are the same size and dimension. They just have a different rating.
They needed my VIN number to be certain.
The bar rating is also noted on the fuel filter itself.
Mine matched up when I replaced it, 4.6 bar on old and new fuel filter.
*Not sure if both are the same 1K0201051C as mine was 1K0201051C but it's the 4.6 bar filter.
On some internet VW online stores, the 1K0201051C will return a 4 bar filter.

I just wanted to pass on the info that it's best to give the dealer your VIN to make sure you get the proper one or remove your old one and look on the end for the bar rating.

I just replaced mine. 07 GLI, and its 6.4BAR 1K0 201 051C is the PN on my old fuel filter, it was a breeze thanks to the info posted here

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you be able to relive pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter lines?

I used to relieve pressure in my old Ford by removing the fuel pump fuse and running it until it burned the fuel in the lines. In the end I would get very little fuel spillage. Has anybody tried this?

skateboy918

Ready to race!
i didnt relieve any pressure from the fuel lines at all. The pressure did "pop" fuel out, but in no way as it anywhere close to dangerous, just a tad messy for the driveway.

Trust me, its pretty simple as long as you read all the above and learn about the release tab

piston

Options
Can you be able to relive pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter lines?

I used to relieve pressure in my old Ford by removing the fuel pump fuse and running it until it burned the fuel in the lines. In the end I would get very little fuel spillage. Has anybody tried this?
The Bentley manual has no provisions for relieving the pressure like the Fords using the fuel cut-off switch or removing the fuel relay and let the car die.
The manual basically says, push in clips, remove lines, remove mounting screw, remove filter, install filter.

I basically let the car sit for 30 minutes, open the gas cap to let out any pressure, put it back on then remove the fuel filter.

As menioned, the fuel will spray slightly on the first line you remove so put a rag over it as you pull out the line but then the other two will just drip fuel.
*Keep a pan under as well if you have one.

When removing the lines, put the caps that come with the replacement on the old filter to prevent fuel from spiling out when you tip it to move the other lines or remove the filter.

Last edited:

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that sucks I just didn't want to get sprayed in the face. I will be replacing the fuel filter soon on my car. I will try to be careful when I do it. Thank you "Piston".

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Other then fuel spraying everywhere this is a easy job. ...

Normally the electric fuel pump in the tank will raise fuel pressure when the drivers door is opened.
When I did this task, night before starting the job, I started the engine
and pulled the fuel pump fuse, let run till engine stalled.
Next morning when I removed the filter - no fuel 'spraying' at all.
Just a bit trickled out from gravity - no fuel pressure to deal with. :thumbsup:

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Normally the electric fuel pump in the tank will raise fuel pressure when the drivers door is opened.
When I did this task, night before starting the job, I started the engine
and pulled the fuel pump fuse, let run till engine stalled.
Next morning when I removed the filter - no fuel 'spraying' at all.
Just a bit trickled out from gravity - no fuel pressure to deal with. :thumbsup:

That is what I was talking about. I did the same thing on a ford and I thought it should work on the VW. It did! I was going to say the same thing you just did.