GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
had to swap my tired due to two big nails in my sidewalls, and figured since i had the rear of the car up, great time to swap out my fuel filter...problem is...i can't get the clips off!!!:evil:

Has anyone done this that can tell me how to get those buggers off...or maybe a scan from the manual. Tried using little screw drivers, but nothign seemed to work!

Thanks.

Marc

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
FSI fuel filter fuel line release

had to swap my tired due to two big nails in my sidewalls, and figured since i had the rear of the car up, great time to swap out my fuel filter...problem is...i can't get the clips off!!!:evil:
Has anyone done this that can tell me how to get those buggers off...or maybe a scan from the manual. Tried using little screw drivers, but nothign seemed to work!
Thanks.
Marc

I removed all three using gloved finges to press release buttons.
The back two are relatively easy to do, as their release buttons face outward to clear area for reasonable access.
The trick is to recognise the release button,
press it in a tiny bit, and then pull straight off.
Be ready for fuel to escape

arrows in pictures point to release buttons

The other one has the release button on the opposite side.
I had great difficulty removing that one.
Ended up pushing the best I could on the release button with my finger,
while gently twisting a screwdriver blade in the gap to push it free.
You do not want to break these connectors, that repair is much more work and cost.

new

Good luck.

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
Jet - You're a lifesaver man! I thought those buttons needed to be pryed up...damn good thing I didn't do that!

I'll have the new tires next week, so I'll be giving it a go probably next Saturday...thanks a ton....LIFE SAVER!!!

Marc

skateboy918

Ready to race!
so has anyone ever open one of these up to see what kind of stuff is filtered in there?

I want to, but the only way is some sort of saw, and that sounds like a possible explosion waiting to happen...

anyone has an idea?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
so has anyone ever open one of these up to see what kind of stuff is filtered in there?

I want to, but the only way is some sort of saw, and that sounds like a possible explosion waiting to happen...

anyone has an idea?

I've been thinking about it since I replaced mine.
Been air drying it, turning it to allow gravity to help drain.
Might expect brief flames when I cut - but not explosions.
Probably in a few weeks when I have some free time planned I'll hack it up.

darrinb

I just did my filter took 15 min tops. I will cut it open at work monday but the brown fuel that leaked out of the return barb say's all that needs to be said.

MKV808

Ready to race!
Where is the filter located and price on the filter?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
how do you know when your filter needs to be replaced?

My car has 55,000 miles...should I replace it?

40k is the recommended replacement interval - its time.:wink:

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
fuel filter location - cost

Where is the filter located and price on the filter?

VW Part# 1K0201051C cost around $35 and it is located under the car just forward of the right rear wheel.

MKV808

Ready to race!
nice. thank you very much!

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
Fuel is fuel...it's got some crap in it regardless of what kind of car you drive!

I'll be doing my replacement this weekend!

piston

Options
I removed all three using gloved finges to press release buttons.
The back two are relatively easy to do, as their release buttons face outward to clear area for reasonable access.
The trick is to recognise the release button,
press it in a tiny bit, and then pull straight off.
Be ready for fuel to escape .
I just want to point out that the key thing to remember is push in on those tabs and pull out the hose. **Do not pull up/out on those tabs.**

The new fuel filter comes with 3 caps and those can be placed on the old fuel filter after removing each hose to reduce fuel spill when you are removing the filter.

*Make sure to order your fuel filter using your VIN.
There are different bar rating fuel filters and you want to make sure you get the correct one for your specific car.