GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

skateboy918

Ready to race!
i didnt relieve any pressure from the fuel lines at all. The pressure did "pop" fuel out, but in no way as it anywhere close to dangerous, just a tad messy for the driveway.

Trust me, its pretty simple as long as you read all the above and learn about the release tab

piston

Options
Can you be able to relive pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter lines?

I used to relieve pressure in my old Ford by removing the fuel pump fuse and running it until it burned the fuel in the lines. In the end I would get very little fuel spillage. Has anybody tried this?
The Bentley manual has no provisions for relieving the pressure like the Fords using the fuel cut-off switch or removing the fuel relay and let the car die.
The manual basically says, push in clips, remove lines, remove mounting screw, remove filter, install filter.

I basically let the car sit for 30 minutes, open the gas cap to let out any pressure, put it back on then remove the fuel filter.

As menioned, the fuel will spray slightly on the first line you remove so put a rag over it as you pull out the line but then the other two will just drip fuel.
*Keep a pan under as well if you have one.

When removing the lines, put the caps that come with the replacement on the old filter to prevent fuel from spiling out when you tip it to move the other lines or remove the filter.

Last edited:

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Well that sucks I just didn't want to get sprayed in the face. I will be replacing the fuel filter soon on my car. I will try to be careful when I do it. Thank you "Piston".

JetTurbo

geezer
Other then fuel spraying everywhere this is a easy job. ...
Normally the electric fuel pump in the tank will raise fuel pressure when the drivers door is opened.
When I did this task, night before starting the job, I started the engine
and pulled the fuel pump fuse, let run till engine stalled.
Next morning when I removed the filter - no fuel 'spraying' at all.
Just a bit trickled out from gravity - no fuel pressure to deal with. :thumbsup:

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Normally the electric fuel pump in the tank will raise fuel pressure when the drivers door is opened.
Just a bit trickled out from gravity - no fuel pressure to deal with. :thumbsup:
That is what I was talking about. I did the same thing on a ford and I thought it should work on the VW. It did! I was going to say the same thing you just did.

vwboy308

Ready to race!
What fuse is it? thanks

ChachiV

Ride
2007 VW GTI MKV
Wow, I'm really glad I found this thread. I was getting my oil changed yesterday and, along with offering me tires, brake pads, air filter, etc., they say I should replace my fuel filter. I'm only at 30,000 miles so I thought it was odd but what the hell, I asked how much it would run...

$185... One-hundred and eighty-five dollars.

I just laughed uncomfortably and declined.

So now I know, spend $35 and 10 minutes and smell a little like gas. I'm cool with that.

ehssan_alkhiyami

Thank you Jeturbo for the great info in here ... I have Jetta 2.5L engine .. does anyone know if the fuel filter is located in the same place as your GTI .. sadly I don't have the Bentley to confirm that ... i'm ording some parts from ECS guys for maintenance the car as it's 45K on the clock now ...

Last edited:

Chongman805

have a BIG one ;-)
Jet - You're a lifesaver man! I thought those buttons needed to be pryed up...damn good thing I didn't do that!

I'll have the new tires next week, so I'll be giving it a go probably next Saturday...thanks a ton....LIFE SAVER!!!

Marc

I thought they did and just broke the black clip... nice eh?Now what am I going to do....

Chongman805

have a BIG one ;-)
super glue.... check! lines.. holding we shall see... for you guys having trouble with the front plug, the tab is on top.... I pulled the filter out of the housing, made it a million times easier to get that tab pushed IN not pulled out. hahahaha we will see how well superglue works... it still clicked on without it but I wanted that piece back up in there for piece of mind..