GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Replacing Fuel Filter--Getting DAMN clips off?!?!?!?!

Haggisman14

Cram V
Ride
CW 2 Door
had to swap my tired due to two big nails in my sidewalls, and figured since i had the rear of the car up, great time to swap out my fuel filter...problem is...i can't get the clips off!!!:evil:

Has anyone done this that can tell me how to get those buggers off...or maybe a scan from the manual. Tried using little screw drivers, but nothign seemed to work!

Thanks.

Marc

JetTurbo

geezer
FSI fuel filter fuel line release

had to swap my tired due to two big nails in my sidewalls, and figured since i had the rear of the car up, great time to swap out my fuel filter...problem is...i can't get the clips off!!!:evil:
Has anyone done this that can tell me how to get those buggers off...or maybe a scan from the manual. Tried using little screw drivers, but nothign seemed to work!
Thanks.
Marc
I removed all three using gloved finges to press release buttons.
The back two are relatively easy to do, as their release buttons face outward to clear area for reasonable access.
The trick is to recognise the release button,
press it in a tiny bit, and then pull straight off.
Be ready for fuel to escape

arrows in pictures point to release buttons

The other one has the release button on the opposite side.
I had great difficulty removing that one.
Ended up pushing the best I could on the release button with my finger,
while gently twisting a screwdriver blade in the gap to push it free.
You do not want to break these connectors, that repair is much more work and cost.

new

Good luck.

Haggisman14

Cram V
Ride
CW 2 Door
Jet - You're a lifesaver man! I thought those buttons needed to be pryed up...damn good thing I didn't do that!

I'll have the new tires next week, so I'll be giving it a go probably next Saturday...thanks a ton....LIFE SAVER!!!

Marc

skateboy918

Ready to race!
so has anyone ever open one of these up to see what kind of stuff is filtered in there?

I want to, but the only way is some sort of saw, and that sounds like a possible explosion waiting to happen...

anyone has an idea?

JetTurbo

geezer
so has anyone ever open one of these up to see what kind of stuff is filtered in there?

I want to, but the only way is some sort of saw, and that sounds like a possible explosion waiting to happen...

anyone has an idea?
I've been thinking about it since I replaced mine.
Been air drying it, turning it to allow gravity to help drain.
Might expect brief flames when I cut - but not explosions.
Probably in a few weeks when I have some free time planned I'll hack it up.

darrinb

I just did my filter took 15 min tops. I will cut it open at work monday but the brown fuel that leaked out of the return barb say's all that needs to be said.

Haggisman14

Cram V
Ride
CW 2 Door
Fuel is fuel...it's got some crap in it regardless of what kind of car you drive!

I'll be doing my replacement this weekend!

piston

Options
I removed all three using gloved finges to press release buttons.
The back two are relatively easy to do, as their release buttons face outward to clear area for reasonable access.
The trick is to recognise the release button,
press it in a tiny bit, and then pull straight off.
Be ready for fuel to escape .
I just want to point out that the key thing to remember is push in on those tabs and pull out the hose. **Do not pull up/out on those tabs.**

The new fuel filter comes with 3 caps and those can be placed on the old fuel filter after removing each hose to reduce fuel spill when you are removing the filter.

*Make sure to order your fuel filter using your VIN.
There are different bar rating fuel filters and you want to make sure you get the correct one for your specific car.

Sailem

Ready to race!
I just want to point out that the key thing to remember is push in on those tabs and pull out the hose. **Do not pull up/out on those tabs.**

The new fuel filter comes with 3 caps and those can be placed on the old fuel filter after removing each hose to reduce fuel spill when you are removing the filter.

*Make sure to order your fuel filter using your VIN.
There are different bar rating fuel filters and you want to make sure you get the correct one for your specific car.
I have never heard anything regarding using a specific filter

piston

Options
I have never heard anything regarding using a specific filter
When I went to the dealer, they said there are two different fuel filters.
There's a 4 bar and 4.6 bar. They are the same size and dimension. They just have a different rating.
They needed my VIN number to be certain.
The bar rating is also noted on the fuel filter itself.
Mine matched up when I replaced it, 4.6 bar on old and new fuel filter.
*Not sure if both are the same 1K0201051C as mine was 1K0201051C but it's the 4.6 bar filter.
On some internet VW online stores, the 1K0201051C will return a 4 bar filter.

I just wanted to pass on the info that it's best to give the dealer your VIN to make sure you get the proper one or remove your old one and look on the end for the bar rating.

skateboy918

Ready to race!
When I went to the dealer, they said there are two different fuel filters.
There's a 4 bar and 4.6 bar. They are the same size and dimension. They just have a different rating.
They needed my VIN number to be certain.
The bar rating is also noted on the fuel filter itself.
Mine matched up when I replaced it, 4.6 bar on old and new fuel filter.
*Not sure if both are the same 1K0201051C as mine was 1K0201051C but it's the 4.6 bar filter.
On some internet VW online stores, the 1K0201051C will return a 4 bar filter.

I just wanted to pass on the info that it's best to give the dealer your VIN to make sure you get the proper one or remove your old one and look on the end for the bar rating.
I just replaced mine. 07 GLI, and its 6.4BAR 1K0 201 051C is the PN on my old fuel filter, it was a breeze thanks to the info posted here

wilo_1979

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you be able to relive pressure in the fuel line before removing the filter lines?

I used to relieve pressure in my old Ford by removing the fuel pump fuse and running it until it burned the fuel in the lines. In the end I would get very little fuel spillage. Has anybody tried this?