GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing rear view mirror

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
MKV .:R32
Anyone done this? I searched here and vortex and youtube, nothing unless I didn't use good search strings. Any help appreciated.

"why do you want to remove it?"

vinyl wrapping it.

thanks

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
IIRC, the two plastic surrounds unclip & come off, and then the mirror itself just unclips from a mount on the windshield. There are a couple cables running through it for the auto-dimming, but it should be pretty straight forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
cool thanks for the tip i'll give it look....

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
Yeah I've got the auto dimming mirror - I didn't know there were R32s without it?

Though - I also didn't know there were R32s with manual seats - my go forward and backward with the regular release handle of the mkV. Every other R32 I test drove had power seats.

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
ok so here's some FYI/DIY info:

First: pry gently the 2 housing pieces apart - i used a flathead on my Skeletool by leatherman; a small pry will pop it so go easy.

2nd: Unplug auto dimming connector- again won't need to much strength to pull it out.

3rd: Slide entire assembly off track - I had to slightly pry with my flathead on the metal clip to get its death grip off the assembly.

The metal clip on each side is what keeps it tight on the track.

Also wiggling it up and down with 2 hands on each side gently it'll start to free up.
After that the mirror is free with the arm and mirror itself.

And now to figure out if this has a locking ring like a regular mirror? to get the arm off.

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
Yeah I've got the auto dimming mirror - I didn't know there were R32s without it?

Though - I also didn't know there were R32s with manual seats - my go forward and backward with the regular release handle of the mkV. Every other R32 I test drove had power seats.

As far as I know, there aren't, at least stateside anyway. I think they were only offered in 2 packages here, navi and non-navi, and both have the auto-dimming package.

I've never seen power seats in an .:R though...aside from the powered lumbar. =0

ok so here's some FYI/DIY info:

Sticky please. :thumbsup:

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
I gotta figure out if the arm comes off first....

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
Not wanting to break the mirror i opted not to fuck with the arm and improvise --

i measured the vinyl and found the center, then cut a 1" hole in the middle and a slit along the center line to put the vinyl around the arm.

My first time doing this and working with vinyl - it's pretty pliable with heat and yeah you can see the slight slit, but it's my first attempt so I'm not gonna sweat it.

Na2eL

Ready to race!
Not wanting to break the mirror i opted not to fuck with the arm and improvise --

i measured the vinyl and found the center, then cut a 1" hole in the middle and a slit along the center line to put the vinyl around the arm.

My first time doing this and working with vinyl - it's pretty pliable with heat and yeah you can see the slight slit, but it's my first attempt so I'm not gonna sweat it.

:23:

Jeff Spicoli

Female Organ Player
Car(s)
*yawn* i give a fuck what you think?

:thumbsup:

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Are you the same guy that gave that one dude shit about turning his M3 into a legitimate race car?

To each his own, I guess.