GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

removing rear spoiler

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
has anyone removed tthe gti rear spoiler to reveal the rabbit spoiler? i was at the dealer the other day checking out rabbits to see what i can do to make mine look like one.. and believe it or not, the rabbit spoiler accents the rear side siloette (sp?) so much better than the gti one, so my question is, has anyone removed this piece??
ps. my goal is to look as rabbit like as possible :cool:

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
he wants the rabbit looks with the GTI performance, no offence mkvgtiTX but that was the most obvious question you could ask even though i bet you knew the answer...

918hare

Go Kart Champion
Well, to be honest I have no idea what the rear of the Rab. looks like but, I can tell you that if you take the spoiler off of your GTI you will need to buy another one or never attach it again.

I took mine off and the adhesive they use and the way it is attached, the only way to get it off breaks the internals inside of the spoiler into a million pieces.

Here are pics with it off......

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
i could care less about the stock spoiler.. but when you took it off, did it screw up the paint or anything on the under-spoiler??
and thanks topgear.. you're like 1 of 2 people that pretty much know my plans

918hare

Go Kart Champion
As for messing up the paint, not really, if you look in the second picture you can see a small scratch. In the third pic you can sww the giant screw driver I used (mistake #1). That is want caused the scratch but you really need something to pry it off with.

I don't know much bout the rabbit spolier, but if it does not cover up that black glue on the top you might be in trouble, I cut it down with a razor blade, but if that part is going to show it would be alot more work.

I just covered mine back up with a modified stock spoiler.

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
aight well what i'm getting at is that the gti spoiler simply sits over the rabbit spoiler.. all i want is the rabbit spoiler, but i don't want it to look all fudged up

BOOSTEDGTI

Use a heat gun and a plastic bondo applicator. The heat gun will sofen up the tap glue. While heating, use the bondo applicator. It won't leave any scratches.

mkvgtiTX

TEXAS
he wants the rabbit looks with the GTI performance, no offence mkvgtiTX but that was the most obvious question you could ask even though i bet you knew the answer...

no actually i didn't know the answer to that question, no offense TopGear. but i dont understand why you would want your GTI to look more like a rabbit, the GTI is a better look than the rabbit and changing it to look like a rabbit in my opinion would be a downgrade.

TopGearNJ

Ready to race!
Eric feel free to correct me but i guess you are going for the sleeper look, and perhaps, you are even going to change the look of the car to be as rabbit as possible so when some punk wants to run you, they wont know you have the GTI engine at your fingertips? I like the idea, but its not for me im keepin mine as GTI-tacular as possible.

bsosa69

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 GTI
I'm pretty sure the rabbit spoiler is different from the GTI one. Look at the 3rd brake light on them and you'll see.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
to be completely honest, most of you are going to hate me for this.. but i think the gti front end looks like its "trying to hard" i like the subdued looks of the rabbit, everything flows nicely.. i also don't want to be stereotypical and go with the black hood center and black roof.. i'm going to do my own thing, but get it done nicely.. i'm sick of everyones car looking the same.. votex this, oettenger that.. its all nice and pretty, and it works well, but it's not for me.. i prefer oem+.. so therefore, i'm going oem plus... thanks all... :headbang:

bsosa69

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 GTI
I know you want to look exactly like a rabbit, but I have some questions for you. First, what color is your GTI? While on most models the front end might stick out a bit (I guess its a matter of opinion) its pretty stealth with the black ones. And second, if you really want to look like a rabbit, are you going to get some of the rabbit specific wheels from vw, and also remove your front xenon headlights for regualr ones? foglights too? (not sure if the rabbit has them) Oh, yeah, and what about the blue tint? And rabbit and 2.5 badges? I'm just wondering, I don't want to sound mean.