GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing oil screens anyone done it?

IMGTX

Car(s)
2011 GTI
I am into a 2011 2.0 Turbo TSI. Low oil light when warmed up at speed, non magnetic metal in the oil.

Went through the easy to see suspects, oil pump, bearings etc. Finally removed the engine and found 1 bad balance shaft and the other one going bad.

Mine failed because of what looked like carbon flakes in the screens. Oil Pressure eventually pushed one of the the screens into the feed holes and dislodged it. Bad as it sounds that saved that journal and bearing area. The others just clogged and starved the journal leading to the metal filings. The gear was walking off the shaft end too, so I was lucky the bearing surface failed before the gear made a bigger mess.

I don't want to vent, but I will say it was a design made to fail.

My questions are these.

I have heard of people removing the screens in the cam bridge with no adverse problems. Is this true?

What about the screens in the balance shaft?

The wear on the bad journal didn't seem to open up the clearance enough to drop the oil pressure plus the screens were clogged so not much oil was getting through anyway.

Could the dislodged screen cause the oil pressure drop? Do the screens regulate oil flow or just filter it?

I would prefer to make the repair as close to permanent as possible but not at the risk of pulling the engine again and installing the screens.

Anyone tried removing them?

Thanks

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI