GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remote start in a 6MT?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone had success installing one? Googling usually results in a bunch of warnings or suggestions to use kits that are discontinued.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
My local shop installs remote car starters in manuals all the time. I have one installed in my car. I have to put the car in neutral and then pull the e-brake up 2 times. Then take the key out of the ignition, the engine will stay running until you get out of the car and shut the driver's side door.

If you have passengers in your car, make sure they don't open their doors until you performed the above mentioned steps and the key is out of the ignition. Otherwise, you will have to wait for them to get out and close their doors before you can do it.

I paid $500 to have this installed. But it's great in the winter if you leave the heat cranked and pointed at the windshield.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My local shop installs remote car starters in manuals all the time. I have one installed in my car. I have to put the car in neutral and then pull the e-brake up 2 times. Then take the key out of the ignition, the engine will stay running until you get out of the car and shut the driver's side door.

If you have passengers in your car, make sure they don't open their doors until you performed the open mentioned steps and the key is out of the ignition. Otherwise, you will have to wait for them to get out and close their doors before you can do it.

I paid $500 to have this installed. But it's great in the winter if you leave the heat cranked and pointed at the windshield.

This sounds like a crazy cheat code from the Nintendo NES days haha... Up, down, up, down, left, right, A, B, A, B.

It sounds like this relies a lot on the driver's door switch. Keep in mind that they're known to go bad in the MKV after a while.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah I've already had to replace the drivers side door switch once. But that's simple enough to do and my local junkyard has a surplus.

And yes, it kind of does sound like you're entering a cheat code to a video game, lol.

Last edited:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
A kit or DIY that's confirmed to work on manuals. Usually I only find a lot of disclaimers, or "bypass this and that" without an explanation. I can follow directions, I can't figure out how to do it on my own.

Worst case, a shop recommendation in NJ that has experience and will do it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for that link! Does the loader still work? Saw your last post about “lite” accts. If so, I’d be all over this. Found a place to do it, but I’d much rather do this myself than pay someone to butcher wiring everywhere.