GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reducing Engine Temps

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
When people say they removed the cowl trim to reduce engine temps, they are talking about the rain tray trim correct? Would this not allow water to enter the engine bay?

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thanks for the link! Does it keep water off the battery and fuse box though?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I believe water goes in the tray and down the firewall by the fenders. The battery and fuse box are pretty safe.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
When people say they removed the cowl trim to reduce engine temps, they are talking about the rain tray trim correct? Would this not allow water to enter the engine bay?

It won't reduce engine operating temp. It will reduce underhood temps maybe making it a little better for parts affected by heat like plastic parts and tubing etc. maybe making them last a little longer.

A turbo blanket helps a LOT for unhood temps makes a very big difference.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Sorry, I meant engine BAY temps not actual engine temps. I read that it does provide a cooler environment for plastic parts and tubing by about 18F, as well as amplifying engine induction noise :thumbsup:However on the thread provided above everyone says no water gets in by torrential rain or car wash, then one guy has a picture of it soaked inside with soap all over; What do your guy's common logic say about this? If your driving then I assume the wind will prevent water from entering but when parked I assume water will enter the driver side where there is the holes in the cowl, onto the rain tray, then on top of the battery and fuse box, which have covers but :iono: For as long as I've lived water and electrical do not mix well. SO...Is it no big deal if water gets on top of battery because cover or what?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sorry, I meant engine BAY temps not actual engine temps. I read that it does provide a cooler environment for plastic parts and tubing by about 18F, as well as amplifying engine induction noise :thumbsup:However on the thread provided above everyone says no water gets in by torrential rain or car wash, then one guy has a picture of it soaked inside with soap all over; What do your guy's common logic say about this? If your driving then I assume the wind will prevent water from entering but when parked I assume water will enter the driver side where there is the holes in the cowl, onto the rain tray, then on top of the battery and fuse box, which have covers but :iono: For as long as I've lived water and electrical do not mix well. SO...Is it no big deal if water gets on top of battery because cover or what?

If you live in Canada can't imagine the need to do this for daily driving. If you are going to the track, take it off for the day and put it back on when you drive home from the track.