GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear performance pack calipers

Moneyboi

I am looking to upgrade my non-performance pack golf gti mk7 rear brake calipers to performance pack ones. Can anyone confirm whether its just the carriers, brake pads and the dust shields which defer from the non-performance pack? Oh and obviously the vented 310mm discs.

These are the part numbers for the Performance pack rear calipers:

Caliper, red, left - 5Q0 615 423
Caliper, right - 5Q0 615 424
Carrier, red - 5Q0 615 425
Pads - 3Q0 698 451
Retaining spring - 8V0 615 269
Discs, 310x22mm - 1K0 615 601 N
Backplate, left - 5Q0 615 611 N
Backplate, right - 5Q0 615 612 N

can anyone do the same but for the non-performance pack one? I am wondering if I can get away with just changing the carrier?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You can get a Clubsport upgrade kit that seems to include everything you need from www.ECStuning.com to do the front and rear brakes. Expensive though. Would probably cost about $2,900 in the US. Includes red carriers and calipers. I think you can use their chat feature so you might want to check with them directly to see if they have a cheaper option.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
There is one or more German vendors on Ebay selling the whole rear kit or just the calipers (not sure if carriers are included) for less than ECS or ShopDap.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
The brake line is also a different size. Removing the bolt to put the new back plate on is a bit of a challenge, you will need a breaker bar, extension and the special socket. I wrote this up awhile back. I purchased a used set of calipers and pieced out everything else.

Found the post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/re-bigger-brake-upgrade.348265/page-2#post-7086817
"I first just did the fronts, easy straight forward job.

For the rears, I ran into some surprises. To remove and install the new splash shield you need to remove the wheel bearing assembly. The splash shield is not a C shape like in the front, but a hole inside the wheel bearing assembly. Have a large breaker bar as the torque to put the wheel bearing back on is 150 ft lbs plus 180°. You will need a M14 and M18 triple squares.

The brake lines need to be replaced as the banjo fitting is larger on the PP brakes. Brake Hose Line - 5QM-611-775-D (5Q0-611-775-H alternate, should work), the 5QM part has a list price of $73 each.
The alternate come out to be around $24 each so I just got some Stoptech shielded lines.

Also on the rear rotor I found that P/N 1K0615601N worked and found significantly cheaper."

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This sounds like a very costly upgrade for the rear brakes which don't provide a great advantage in stopping power. I would upgrade the front brakes instead.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This thread will make those with PP brakes or an R appreciate their brakes even more. I think I'd forego the red pieces if they can be bought cheaper. They're a pain to clean anyway.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So 312mm brakes up front & 310mm at the rear??

I wouldn't bother mate...the UK rears are either 272mm or 300mm for a GTI (not PP which is vented 310mm)...so powerful enough..its the fronts which are underpowered...

Fit Porsche Macan Brembo 4 pots & MK6 R 345mm discs...to the front

Moneyboi

The brake line is also a different size. Removing the bolt to put the new back plate on is a bit of a challenge, you will need a breaker bar, extension and the special socket. I wrote this up awhile back. I purchased a used set of calipers and pieced out everything else.

Found the post:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/re-bigger-brake-upgrade.348265/page-2#post-7086817
"I first just did the fronts, easy straight forward job.

For the rears, I ran into some surprises. To remove and install the new splash shield you need to remove the wheel bearing assembly. The splash shield is not a C shape like in the front, but a hole inside the wheel bearing assembly. Have a large breaker bar as the torque to put the wheel bearing back on is 150 ft lbs plus 180°. You will need a M14 and M18 triple squares.

The brake lines need to be replaced as the is larger on the PP brakes. Brake Hose Line - 5QM-611-775-D (5Q0-611-775-H alternate, should work), the 5QM part has a list price of $73 each.
The alternate come out to be around $24 each so I just got some Stoptech shielded lines.

Also on the rear rotor I found that P/N 1K0615601N worked and found significantly cheaper."

Correct me if i am wrong, on the UK version of the golf gti I have an electric handbrake so shouldn't need to change the lines? I have currently got 300mm rear non-vented disks.

I will be changing both front and back but just required more information on the rears. Fronts I am going with the performance pack calipers with clubsport s disks :p

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Correct me if i am wrong, on the UK version of the golf gti I have an electric handbrake so shouldn't need to change the lines? I have currently got 300mm rear non-vented disks.

I will be changing both front and back but just required more information on the rears. Fronts I am going with the performance pack calipers with clubsport s disks :p

the brakes still have hydraulics for normal operation...the electric motor pushes the piston out when you activate the electric handbrake....
also your master cylinder will be out (slightly) and the pedal movement will be affected.....due to the bigger piston diameter (60mm for PP/R)

Do you have VCDS or ODB11 to wind the caliper motors back???

PP calipers & Clubsport discs are a waste of time unless you got them cheap....the calipers are very heavy, & the discs are badly designed as they are NOT handed, so one disc rotates the wrong way (for the internal vanes) & gets hotter than the other disc!!

Get a set of Porsche Macan 4 pots & MK6 Golf "R" 345m discs, straight bolt on..just need Porsche to VW hoses made up.....or get Audi TTS (Ate) 4 pots & 340mm discs..straight bolt on just to change pads you have to remove the whole caliper unlike the Porsche which have removal slots..

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

I do not believe it has anything to do with the handbrake as it is the size of the threaded coupling that screws into the caliper. The PP rears have a larger orifice for the brake line. You may look at websites that sell brake lines for PP and non PP rears and note that the part numbers are different. https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VII--2.0T_Gen3/Braking/Lines/ If the line part numbers are not different on PP and non-PP electric handbrake caliper versions then you are fine.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The TCR race cars use non PP rears.

Upgrade the fronts with Macan calipers and mk6 R rotors.

Moneyboi

Alright thank you all for your input. I've made the purchase for PP calipers and gone for Hel performance brake lines, with clubsport S discs on the front and brembo xtra on the back!