GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RC Cars (Remote Control)

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Nice, just in time for Thanksgiving, The only thing deeper than the rabbit hole of car mods, is RC car mods.
That is very true! I figured I would save some cash in the long run if I went with the factory kit right off the bat. Already has most of the goodies in the kit. The only upgrade I am thinking about right now is an aluminum bulkhead and I'll just wait until I inevitably break the stock one.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I was heavy into RC in my teen years. When I got back into it my wife was supportive, but before I bought anything I asked, Are you sure? this is a slippery slope! :)

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

I like to call this chapter "Reasons why I don't have a Vortex yet"​

Subject: One lighly modified deadbolt, seems like most of the things I have changed about this thing have made the performance worse. The deadbolt is a entry-level crawler, I would recommend something with a wider wheel base. I go back and forth with this hobby... one minute I'm super interested, the next minute I'm asking myself wtf I'm doing.

Upgrades:​

Tires - RC4WD Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 1.9" Off-Road Tires Z-T0048
Softer rubber compound, changed everything about the experience. The harder rubber stock wheels almost made me want to return this thing to the store. It actually climbs now.

Servo - Powerhobby 633MCW
Stock servo died a few weeks after adding the stainless suspension pieces, the difference in performance from this mid-grade Powerhobby servo was night/day. I can't believe how much more snappier and responsive it is.

Potentially wasted money​

Wheels - INJORA RC Wheel Rim 1.9 Inch Metal Beadlock Wheel Hub
Some random aluminum bead-locks from amazon. Better than the glue ons that came with it, but potentially stripped some of the bolts going on, would not use on a second set of tires.

Shocks - INJORA RC Shock Absorber Oil Adjustable RC Damper Set with Springs for 1/10 RC Truck Crawler Axial SCX10 TRX4 D90 (90mm)
I'm not sure if the shocks were an upgrade or not. It seems like some travel was removed from the suspension because the car isn't heavy enough to make use of the stiffer shocks.

Steel Steering/Rod Links - Not sure on brand, I thought the car would benefit from a weight on the bottom and a lower center of gravity. Turns out the people building these things probably know what they're doing.

Attachments

• db.png
    db.png
    16 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I think you guys may get a kick out of this example of a hobby mirroring real life. I got the motor for my build off a guy named Rotor Ron. I came across his stuff on eBay. Dude rebuilds and tunes brushless RC racing motors and he had a hell of a deal on a rebuilt 13.5 so I snagged it up. When I opened the package, a dyno sheet for the motor was tucked inside.

Attachments

• 16ED0746-4A94-4188-9195-C90254AB1762.jpeg
    16ED0746-4A94-4188-9195-C90254AB1762.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 136

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Subject: One lighly modified deadbolt, seems like most of the things I have changed about this thing have made the performance worse. The deadbolt is a entry-level crawler, I would recommend something with a wider wheel base. I go back and forth with this hobby... one minute I'm super interested, the next minute I'm asking myself wtf I'm doing.

Softer rubber compound, changed everything about the experience. The harder rubber stock wheels almost made me want to return this thing to the store. It actually climbs now.

Stock servo died a few weeks after adding the stainless suspension pieces, the difference in performance from this mid-grade Powerhobby servo was night/day. I can't believe how much more snappier and responsive it is.

Some random aluminum bead-locks from amazon. Better than the glue ons that came with it, but potentially stripped some of the bolts going on, would not use on a second set of tires.

Shocks - INJORA RC Shock Absorber Oil Adjustable RC Damper Set with Springs for 1/10 RC Truck Crawler Axial SCX10 TRX4 D90 (90mm)
I'm not sure if the shocks were an upgrade or not. It seems like some travel was removed from the suspension because the car isn't heavy enough to make use of the stiffer shocks.

Steel Steering/Rod Links - Not sure on brand, I thought the car would benefit from a weight on the bottom and a lower center of gravity. Turns out the people building these things probably know what they're doing.

looks great! I had pretty good luck with the Injora wheels on my SCX10-3. I did have a few stripped bolts but thankfully I could get them out and they included some replacements in my package.
They’re heavy but perfect for a crawler

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

Same.

SCX10 Deadbolt:
Motor/trans flip
battery relocated
Relocated electronics
Aluminum high clearance 4-link front/rear
Aluminum steering links
Aluminum knuckles
Aluminum hubs
Brass axle tubes
Higher clearance rear bumper
Metal trans gear
Lower ratio metal primary gear
Better shocks from a traxxis something or another.
Done other stuff, cant recall.

it’s a fun toy.

403A33FA-FB37-4A21-8656-26AFDAF6C841.jpeg

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Was checking on the furnace in the attic, and ran across my old Kyosho Optima. Certainly has seen better days...

optima.jpg

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
if you didn't know, they re-released the Optima so if you wanted to fix it up you can easily get parts. Or buy a new version.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
if you didn't know, they re-released the Optima so if you wanted to fix it up you can easily get parts. Or buy a new version.
I had no idea! Thanks for that!

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Sure thing. I had an Ultima 2wd back in the day. Fun cars, they re-released that one too. My first car was a Tamiya Frog and when they re-released it a few years ago my wife bought me one. It is now a shelf queen

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Sure thing. I had an Ultima 2wd back in the day. Fun cars, they re-released that one too. My first car was a Tamiya Frog and when they re-released it a few years ago my wife bought me one. It is now a shelf queen
My first car was a Tamiya Grasshopper. Actually, two...one for me, and one for my dad. Then I moved to a TA RC-10, but it just wasn't practical running 2wd in Alaskan winters outdoors, so I started looking at AWD cars. Picked up a Tamiya HotShot (you can spy the front wheels inverted on the Optima), and ultimately got the Optima. Fun times!

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I would imagine anything but a monster truck wouldn't be practical in an Alaskan winter! :)

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Last edited: