GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RC Car and racing

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Anyone else here like to mess with hobby grade RC cars? I used to be in to them about a a decade ago. I snagged up a kit over the weekend so I can start racing again (Team Associated SC6.2 team kit)...pretty excited for it.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
I have an Axial SCXII Deadbolt for rock crawling, it's pretty cool, but in hindsight I would prefer a crawling buggy with a wider wheelbase. I am personally interested in the Capra for crawling, and the Ryft for bashing. However, I am not purchasing in the interest of saving for a vortex.

Capra

Ryft

At 25 seconds... something about the way the Ryft stands up on its rear wheels, has the body twist from torque, and tires expand to almost double their size really reaches out and grabs my inner child.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I raced electric super speedway RC10ss and electric trucks, RC10T, XXT, and XXT BK, back in the day.

I'd love to get back into it, but between mountain biking, autocross and tracking, I can't dedicate any time or resources to it. Still pick up an issue of RC Car Action magazine periodically to see what's new.

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I needed to pick something up that would get me out of the house and around other people (my company went work from home last March and that is the thing for us moving forward so I don't see my co-workers very often is at all) and I like to tinker so this seemed like a pretty good idea. Plus the wife blessed off on it. I think racing will be a lot more enjoyable for me now...I am ten years wiser and ten years more patient.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I needed to pick something up that would get me out of the house and around other people (my company went work from home last March and that is the thing for us moving forward so I don't see my co-workers very often is at all) and I like to tinker so this seemed like a pretty good idea. Plus the wife blessed off on it. I think racing will be a lot more enjoyable for me now...I am ten years wiser and ten years more patient.

I went nuts back in the day. Battery balancing/charger, cycling, discharging machine, tire balancer, tire cutter, comm lathe, alignment board, etc...we had to solder our own battery packs together. I still have a scar from doing it in my underwear.

You kids today and you're brushless motors and lipo batteries. Get off my lawn. 🤣

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
I used to love driving my rc cars had a hip super rs4 an rs4 ss and a savage ss all nitro powered had so much into the savage and so many dreams for it but the rs4 ss was so quick

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Does anyone in that thread even drive their car? Our shell already needs replaced because it cracked at the pins. Also snapped a shock mount so upgraded to new oil filled ones to make it a bit stiffer. I keep the nylon nut and hood pin industry going I guess, lol. Snapped 2 axles. Maybe we should quit taking it off those sweet jumps. nah. We went to the local skate park and put it in the bowl. Now THAT was fun. Think I should have bought a more robust car......

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Does anyone in that thread even drive their car? Our shell already needs replaced because it cracked at the pins. Also snapped a shock mount so upgraded to new oil filled ones to make it a bit stiffer. I keep the nylon nut and hood pin industry going I guess, lol. Snapped 2 axles. Maybe we should quit taking it off those sweet jumps. nah. We went to the local skate park and put it in the bowl. Now THAT was fun. Think I should have bought a more robust car......
Well that pic of my Baja Rey in that thread is the day I bought it… it’s a little worse for wear now lol. A few too many crashes at 35+ mph. No breaks so far though! I did a lot of upgrades right off the bat.
The body is starting to look rough but I’ve kept it right side up for the most part

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I got back into RC(racing) a while ago. It was fun but not when the event lasted almost all day on a Sunday. I built an 1/8th scale buggy and won the B main my first time back after ~15 years off. I was ready to blow outta there and they told me I had advanced to the A so I rushed to get a battery going and swap tires. I got my ass handed to me obviously. Never went back... lol

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
highly recommend this guys YT channel for amazing handbuilt RC content

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I went nuts back in the day. Battery balancing/charger, cycling, discharging machine, tire balancer, tire cutter, comm lathe, alignment board, etc...we had to solder our own battery packs together. I still have a scar from doing it in my underwear.

You kids today and you're brushless motors and lipo batteries. Get off my lawn. 🤣
Hah luckily for me, by the time I had the disposable income to be able to afford it, brushless and LiPo were just taking off. It's nice to see that the prices have kinda went down over the years (or more so the name brand stuff has gotten more affordable) and the brands I used to use all the time are still around, especially Castle Creations. They are pretty local to me (probably around 50 miles away) so it is pretty cool to be able to support a fairly local business in a niche hobby. The fact that their ESCs are fantastic IMHO is just icing on the cake.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Well that pic of my Baja Rey in that thread is the day I bought it… it’s a little worse for wear now lol. A few too many crashes at 35+ mph. No breaks so far though! I did a lot of upgrades right off the bat.
The body is starting to look rough but I’ve kept it right side up for the most part
Line the inside of the body with gorilla tape on the weaker areas. That should help it hold up a bit better.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I used to love driving my rc cars had a hip super rs4 an rs4 ss and a savage ss all nitro powered had so much into the savage and so many dreams for it but the rs4 ss was so quick
I had a Savage SS a long time ago when I was still in to nitro. When I owned it, they were doing a TON of construction on Ft. Riley so I would head out to random construction sites after formation in the afternoon and beat the ever loving hell out of that thing. It was as sturdy as a tank and launching that thing in the air was a blast. Absolutley loved that thing. I wouldn't mind picking up a brushless Savage or an E-Revo. I had a brushless E-Revo back in the day as well and being able to do a back flip from a standing start was rad as hell. That thing had torque for days. As fun as it is to tune a nitro car (and I liked the smell) in the world of RC, electric is the way to go for speed and power IMHO.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's amazing how much less expensive RC is now. I had $2500+ into my cars and equipment, including my Airtronics M8 radio with Novak frequency module. My battery cycler/matcher/charger was $900 alone, but I could charge 4 packs at a time.

It was nice having memory for all my cars and trucks and being able to use one radio.