GOLFMKV

Rabbit vs. B7 A4

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Raced my friends B7 A4 2.0T CVT transmission

went from 20kmh - 160kmh

we did the race multiple times, up to 50kmh he was .5 car, then just kept pulling like a train, had about 3 cars on me by 160

CVT transmission was very wierd though, revs stayed constantly at 6k rpm, seems good cuz its always in boost, but its wierd lol

i got intake/exhaust, he was stock

Understeer'd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 VW Golf (BPY)
That is strange for a turbo car to constantly be in boost like that, consistently putting the power down. Must sound and look weird.
Good show.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
That is exactly how CVT works; it keeps the engine in the best powerband for the needs; based on throttle position etc. If he floors it then the controller says "WOT=Max Power output" and holds it :thumbsup:

2wdBlazer

Ready to race!
I have a CVT A4. Slow as shit compared to my GTI. I'm sure it would train a rabbit though. Come on it's got the GTI engine. THat constant rev shit sucks. My wive drives this car and I can't drive it unless I use Sport or use manual mode. CVT mode is the slowest by far and I would think he did not sue that mode when racing.

God I hate that car. Tried to talk her into an A3 (DSG) but she thought they looked wierd. Now she likes to drive my GTI. She liked it so much she curber my rim recently.

2wdBlazer

Ready to race!
It doesnt have the GTI engine. It has VVT which gives it about 50lbft more than the GTI.

I can assure you a B7 a4 which is 2005.5-2008 has the same engine. I have both cars. Same specs. No tourqe advantage. They both have Variable Valve timing.

a4 just has a crappy CVT tranny.

kllrnohj

CVT mode is the slowest by far and I would think he did not sue that mode when racing.

My initial reaction is that is just what you incorrectly perceive. You are subconsciously associate climbing engine revs with speed increasing. A CVT keeps the engine producing peak power. Unless they seriously screwed it up, a CVT will be the fastest transmission you can possibly have for a car. Zero shifts and constantly producing peak power. It is the ideal.

2wdBlazer

Ready to race!
My initial reaction is that is just what you incorrectly perceive. You are subconsciously associate climbing engine revs with speed increasing. A CVT keeps the engine producing peak power. Unless they seriously screwed it up, a CVT will be the fastest transmission you can possibly have for a car. Zero shifts and constantly producing peak power. It is the ideal.

Well My GTI stock would destroy the A4 stock. Raced it, killed it. My a4 runs fine and there is nothing wrong with it. I used to think my a4 was quick until I bought the GTI.

I dont think it works out like that.

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
Iv heard the GTI driving, and the exhaust is completely different.

The A4 sounds like its 'whistling' through the exhaust as it drove by.

2wdBlazer

Ready to race!
I don't think VW GTI's have Variable Valve timing.

Thats what the specs online say. Same exact specs on the A4 as well.

Once again CVT is slow. DSG eats it alive all day long. In theory holding at 6K sounds nice but the car is much quicker in sport mode when it actually shifts like a normal car.

Like I said, I have both cars. I know which is the better car and tranny.

boki

Ready to race!
Thats what the specs online say. Same exact specs on the A4 as well.

Once again CVT is slow. DSG eats it alive all day long. In theory holding at 6K sounds nice but the car is much quicker in sport mode when it actually shifts like a normal car.

Like I said, I have both cars. I know which is the better car and tranny.

I might have mistaken it with variable valve lift - we might have variable valve timing after all - Quoting GolfRS: "BTW our engines have variable timing controlled through oil pressure, at the intake camshaft..." :iono:
I would still like for someone to elaborate a little more...thanks.