GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rabbit to Gti Front conversion DIY (w/ pics)

shelbzz

meh.
Car(s)
MK5 Rabbit
This is a full DIY on how to convert your Rabbit front end to a Gti or Jetta front end with out the radiator support swap. This requires trimming of the plastic on the new bumper.

Materials:
-Mk5 Rabbit
-Mk5 Jetta (or) Gti bumper & grill
-Torx 25
-Torx 30
-Dremel and/or very sharp razor blade
-a friend to assist

STEP 1
Open up the hood and remove 2 bolts with a torx 25.

STEP 2
Remove clips and pull off the grill.

STEP 3
Remove 2 more bolts using torx 30. (These will not be used for the Gti grill.)

STEP 4
Then go to each finder well(both sides) and there will be 4 bolts attached to the bumper that you will have to remove using torx 25.

STEP 5
Now go towards the bottom on each side under where the reflectors are and there will be 1 more bolt you will need to remove using a 25 as well.

STEP 6
Now in the front of the bumper, under the lip there will be a total of 6 bolts to remove using a torx 25.

STEP 7
Now using your friend for assistance, gently pull the bumper off and unplug the reflector lights on each side.

STEP 8
Now get your new Gti bumper and lay it up against the car, you will see that there are some things in the way. Mark the bumper and cut off some of that plastic that is blocking the bumper from laying against the car using a dremel or any tool of your choice. DO NOT cut your car.

STEP 9
Now cut or break off the little plastic fins that stick out on the headlight brackets (each side).

STEP 10
Also cut or break this plastic thing on both sides.

STEP 11
Try fitting your bumper, you may need to trim a little bit more off your bumper in order for it to lay against the car fully. Also, drill a hole for the the tiny plastic that stick out off the bumper brackets.

STEP 12
Now that you trimmed some more plastic off the bumper, place the bumper on and reattach the 4 bolts on each side in the finder wells using your torx 25. Also reattach the 1 bolt on each side under the reflector area to the lip.

STEP 13
Reattach the 6 bolts in the front of the lip using your torx 25.

STEP 14
Now have your assistant near and you may need to use them guns and push as hard as you can to align the holes for the screws. Have your friend start the screw in the hole as you are flexing your biceps holding those ******* in place. Reattach the 2 bolts using torx 25 on each side near the headlights.

STEP 15
Now slam that hood shut and hope everything stays in place.

*NOTE: If you are planning on painting your bumper, install it first cutting everything to fit then uninstall to paint so you don't risk messing up that shinning new coat with burning plastic spitting off as you cut stuff up.

------Thanks to gtimakesmebroke for my new bumper------

Last edited:

dub4orl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mkv gti
nice write-up but i think that you may have cut a little too much around the headlights. there's a little black gap on the bottom-inside part of both headlights where you can tell there's white plastic missing. fantastic write-up though!

shelbzz

meh.
Car(s)
MK5 Rabbit
I didn't even cut around the headlight area of the bumper, just in the middle where the grill is covering the bumper was cut. That's just how it fit and it was a REALLY tight fit. I'm thinking it may be that I actually didn't cut enough in the middle so it may be curving out all weird rather than hugging against the headlight. When I take the bumper off for paint, I'm going to try and get it to fit better so that gap isn't there though.