DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Invoice / MSRP

2dr manual - $15072 / $15890
2dr auto - $16171 / $16990
4dr auto - $18445 / $18990

The 4dr is only available with the AT, thus the increased price. Also, all Rabbits now have ESP standard.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
man I'm glad I got mine when I did, I got a loaded 4dr 5MT on Karthoums and if their only offering 4drs in tip then I definately woulda bought a base passat 2.0T 6MT

Weedo

Passed Driver's Ed
Consumer Reports just picked it as their top "small car" in the June 2008 issue, and it beat out 2nd place by 6pts if I remember correctly. :thumbsup:

Price-wise our '08 Rabbit 2-door, auto trans with floor mats was $17,500 MSRP (but we leased it at $155/m with $2k down, insane!).

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
The 4dr is only available with the AT, thus the increased price. Also, all Rabbits now have ESP standard.

That sucks, when I was looking they had a 4 dr, heated seats, moonroof, MT model like $18,000... I would not get a 2.5 Auto though, that engine craves a MT IMHO. :thumbsup:

Weedo

Passed Driver's Ed
That sucks, when I was looking they had a 4 dr, heated seats, moonroof, MT model like $18,000... I would not get a 2.5 Auto though, that engine craves a MT IMHO. :thumbsup:

Definitely have to disagree there. The MT is a old school 5 speed. The Auto is the new 6-speed with closer gear ratios. Any car with great torque (over high end horse power) works very well with an auto trans. After driving both it was a no brainer, the 6-speed auto was far superior, and I'm a huge manual trans far (we have an '06 Cayman S 6-speed manual). Then factor in resale value and the amount of people that will want an auto over a manual and the decision becomes easier.

ShadowGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
Definitely have to disagree there. The MT is a old school 5 speed. The Auto is the new 6-speed with closer gear ratios. Any car with great torque (over high end horse power) works very well with an auto trans. After driving both it was a no brainer, the 6-speed auto was far superior, and I'm a huge manual trans far (we have an '06 Cayman S 6-speed manual). Then factor in resale value and the amount of people that will want an auto over a manual and the decision becomes easier.

I dunno, I have driven my fathers 2.5L Tip and a 2.5L 4dr Rabbit w/ 5spd, the 5spd is just geared longer but is not nearly as slushy. I'm not afraid of auto's, I have a DSG, but I just don't care for the feeling of the Tip..

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion

After driving a loaner Jetta (2.5L auto) I must agree. Something I never thought I'd say as in my head 6-speed automatic, with tiptronic and sport mode to boot, automatically (no pun inteded) equaled better than 5-speed manual.

Could just be that people have beat on this car with it being a loaner ('07 with only 20K miles though) also it's pre power increase, but that transmission does the engine no justice at all.

I've actually managed to convince myself the dealer de-tunes it or something so people don't go too crazy. No power at all. Granted I'm coming from a GTI with all the bolt-ons + chip, but damn. :help:

Weedo

Passed Driver's Ed
I dunno, I have driven my fathers 2.5L Tip and a 2.5L 4dr Rabbit w/ 5spd, the 5spd is just geared longer but is not nearly as slushy. I'm not afraid of auto's, I have a DSG, but I just don't care for the feeling of the Tip..

Interesting... The one thing I thought right away was how quick and crisp the shifts are in the Tip. And the short gearing makes is "easy-quick" if that makes sense. I know the new 170hp motor has made it a significant upgrade from last years 150hp motor (and really the key to this is the torque which is also 20 more at 177tq).

ShadowGLI

Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
I know the new 170hp motor has made it a significant upgrade from last years 150hp motor (and really the key to this is the torque which is also 20 more at 177tq).

See that may make a difference too, I drove an early 07, with 150HP, maybe that 170 HP came with some "tightening" of the trans too or something.. or maybe the power just makes it shift better (like the DSG performing better once chipped)

I think I've just gotten so used to DSG that anything short of that feels sloppy and slow..

Weedo

Passed Driver's Ed
See that may make a difference too, I drove an early 07, with 150HP, maybe that 170 HP came with some "tightening" of the trans too or something.. or maybe the power just makes it shift better (like the DSG performing better once chipped)

I think I've just gotten so used to DSG that anything short of that feels sloppy and slow..

Yeah, it's pretty hard to knock the DSG. Although I just read Automobile's "long term update" on their GTI with DSG and they still preferred a manual trans over the DSG. I think it would be hard NOT to chose the DSG! :thumbsup:

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion

:word:
Especially given that the 6-speed Tiptronic is a pretty advanced transmission in its own right. Can't even imagine going back to the 4-speed auto (MKIV Jetta) I took my driver's test with.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
My fiancee and I both have 08 Rabbits, Tip for her, 5 speed for me....

Both transmissions work very well with the 2.5. The Tip has 6 gears and spins about 600rpms lower at highway speeds which is a good thing for gas mileage. This however is a double edged sword. I feel like on the highway, that 6th gear is great however the electronics are too quick to put you into a higher gear while driving under 65mph.

I don't know if 5th is OD also, but it should be. It should be used for cruising at normal city speeds of 45-55ish, and reserve 6th for the highway. Just a little lagging sometimes when you need some power in 6th gear when not going 80mph.