GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Stealthbox / Subwoofer Recommendations?

fusiongt

Ready to race!
Hola, I did some searching on the board but didn't find a ton of information about JL Audio's Stealthbox for our MKV R.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1602

I did see some mentions of it, but I couldn't find a thread where someone actually owned it and reviewed it.

I've already upgraded my Head Unit to a Alpine IVA w505 and dynamat'd the doors because I hated the window rattle (couldn't tolerate it on certain songs, even when the bass was 50% or lower). The thing about the dynamat'd doors is it worked almost too well... the windows don't rattle, but it seems like the bass is too sharp now and doesn't have the low thumps - instead they're really clean, but they don't sound right on hiphop/raggae... on alt/rock it's hardly noticeable since bass isn't as emphasized. I figure a good solution, albeit expensive one, to my feeling of lack of bass is to get a subwoofer in the back.

I was looking for a bass that didn't take up much room because I have a greyhound who could bump into it, and this JL Audio enclosure looks pretty good. Does anyone have it or other subs in their R - what's your experience with it like?

Thx!

RuddyR32

RuddyR32
I personally love my JL Stealthbox and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an easy, no nonsense solution to adding some tight, punchy bass. Nick Brewer (on this forum) also does a great job with his custom stealth boxes and amp racks ... I would check them out too. There are certainly other options out there, but they're either pretty costly and/or time consuming or simply turn your trunk into a drum and bass exhibition! I like to keep mine useable and the protective cover on the JL is reassuring ... I see you're in the Bay Area ... if you'd like to check mine out, you're more than welcome to have a look/listen. I have been meaning to post my recent install for a few weeks now, but my installer has yet to send me the pics he took ... I am running Rainbow 3-ways up front, driven by a PDX-5, and of course the JL Sub. I wanted to keep the OEM look, so still have the factory HU, but all run through a JL Cleansweep. Compared to the stock system, there is no comparison! I dynamatted my front doors too, but given the sub, I obviously don't have the same issues with bass production. Getting a sub control knob installed makes for easy adjusting too, if you listen to a wide array of tunes! Hope that helps a bit ...

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit

BigPhilR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 R32
I have the Wicked CAS box with a JL10W3 in it. Sounds great. Im running a JL 600w amp powering my separates and this 10, and for the size plus taking up virtually no room in the trunk, this box hits really hard and its a fraction of the price of the JL one. As for changing bulbs, its takes like 5 min to pull the box off and really how often do you change your tail light bulbs?

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
I have the Wicked CAS box with a JL10W3 in it. Sounds great. Im running a JL 600w amp powering my separates and this 10, and for the size plus taking up virtually no room in the trunk, this box hits really hard and its a fraction of the price of the JL one. As for changing bulbs, its takes like 5 min to pull the box off and really how often do you change your tail light bulbs?

where did you put your amp?

BigPhilR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 R32
I havent gotten around to a custom system yet, so the amp is currently mounted to the back of the seat.

Attachments

• Dub018.jpg
    Dub018.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,601