GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 Front and Rear Brake Upgrade - Save $350 from ECS

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Thanks for clarifying that man :thumbsup:
That's the brake setup I want to get when I finish paying the car next year, gotta start saving.

Did you had to adjust anything via vagcom?
I recall seeing a thread where someone said that the ABS starts acting up unless you tell the car that it has R32 brakes

I've run the car hard at the track without adjusting anything other than the signal from my brain to my foot. The ABS can potentially kick on sooner, but that's too be expected - you have bigger brakes! You do have to learn to modulate these brakes, they're a lot bigger and more sensitive.

DaemonVrs

So ... what we know so far about the R32 rear brake setup:

1. 310mm ventilated disc compared to 288 solid disc from the GTI
2. different brake capiler carrier compared to the GTI one
3. different brake pads than the GTI
4. different splash shield than the GTI, does not fit the GTI spindle

And now the big question: Is there a diffrence between the R32 and the GTI calipers execept the color ?? do they have a bigger piston or not?

Can someone please measure the diam of the R32 caliper piston and the GTI caliper piston? I don't want to spend 310$ on something that I don't need when swaping the rear brakes

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I have the R32 rears on my GTI, I can't really say they make any sort of big difference as most of the work is done by the fronts. Put the $ in the fronts.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
GTI rears are 286mm and non vented. We use MK5 R32 front(s) and stock rears on our MK6 GTI with APR stg3 utilizing OEM MK5 R32 front pads (no Hawk, EBC although we sell them. R line cars always knock the brake pads on the money since MK4 R32).

Recently we have been selling a lot of rear kits from mk5 r32 to those who have aftermarket BBK.

We are in the process of building an off-the-shelf 6 piston 356mm front kit utilizing 2 piece rotors of our own. This has been a 2 year project. Instead of getting replica calipers from China like other 3 letter companies do, we went to an extend to sign up with one of the biggest names in US and have them manufacture kits for us. There are 3 cars running in San Antonio/Austin Metroplex right now (on tracks) and we will release these kits before the end of the year. The price will be half of the Chinese knock offs with xxx names on them. That is all I can tell right now.

Michael

GTI rears are 286mm and non vented. We use MK5 R32 front(s) and stock rears on our MK6 GTI with APR stg3 utilizing OEM MK5 R32 front pads (no Hawk, EBC although we sell them. R line cars always knock the brake pads on the money since MK4 R32).

Recently we have been selling a lot of rear kits from mk5 r32 to those who have aftermarket BBK.

We are in the process of building an off-the-shelf 6 piston 356mm front kit utilizing 2 piece rotors of our own. This has been a 2 year project. Instead of getting replica calipers from China like other 3 letter companies do, we went to an extend to sign up with one of the biggest names in US and have them manufacture kits for us. There are 3 cars running in San Antonio/Austin Metroplex right now (on tracks) and we will release these kits before the end of the year. The price will be half of the Chinese knock offs with xxx names on them. That is all I can tell right now.

Michael

Hurry the hell up! Like I need another reason to love you guys! :happyanim:

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
So I'm on the last bit installing my r32 brakes on my GTi and guess what... my new Hawk ceramics on the front won't plug into the pad wear sensor. The jack is wrong. It's only a two wire so can I just clip and splice on a plug from a stock set of pads? What have you guys been doing?

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
So I'm on the last bit installing my r32 brakes on my GTi and guess what... my new Hawk ceramics on the front won't plug into the pad wear sensor. The jack is wrong. It's only a two wire so can I just clip and splice on a plug from a stock set of pads? What have you guys been doing?

Yes, clip and splice, or just loop the lines coming out of the car.

Explanation: Its a simple circuit where the light goes off when the circuit is shorted open. There is a wire (or something) embedded in the pad, and when the pad wears enough the wire wears away, stopping connection and shorting it open, turning the light on.